opinions on the best breed for roosters

jemimarose

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 28, 2013
I have a flock of 10 hens of different breeds, and one guinea (left over from a small flock a few years ago). I thought it was a hen, but I found out it's a male. It's abusing my girls, which doesn't fly with me, so he's got to go. Problem is, he kept the hawks away, and my girls are pretty silly so I don't know if they have the sense to defend themselves. So I'm in the market for a rooster.
BUT I want a man who's firm yet sensitive; the strong, silent type. In other words, I want him to look out for them but not beat them up, and not start crowing at 4am and continue into the night. any suggestions?

What breeds/types are your hens mostly? I take it they get to free range? Are you planning on getting a rooster as a chick or will you get an older bird?

Well, they aren't mostly anything. I have 2 RIR's, 1 White Leghorn, 1 Australorp, 3 of what look like Amber Whites, but not sure, 1 Red-breasted Rosecomb and 2 Speckled Sussex. I'm not planning on hatching chicks, I just want a rooster who will--fairly quietly--watch over my free-range flock without beating them up. I don't even care if he's friendly to humans, as long as he doesn't actually attack with intent to kill (me).
As for whether to get a chick or an adult, I'd really prefer a proven adult, since I hear it takes a year to see if they're going to be a good fit or not. But I'll raise one if there's a good bet on a breed that will meet my criteria.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom