Opinions on the breed of this 6+ month old chicken

rachel82

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 3, 2013
Northern Colorado
I have this chicken that I cannot figure out the breed on. I got her out of a "rare breed pullet" bin, and I don't really have any ideas. She is over 6 months old and doesn't seem to be fully matured as of yet. She has a buff and white colored feather, yellow legs, and appears to have the beginnings of a pea comb...? At first I thought she was a buff laced wyandotte, but as she gets older I am thinking I was wrong about that. She is very different from my golden laced wyandotte in most ways. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

I think its a splash laced red wyandotte. Its got a rose comb and the lacing. Lacing is a little funky, but its a hatchery bird so that is to be expected.

The splash laced happens when breeding blue laced together, theres a 25% chance of it.

Last edited:
I think its a splash laced red wyandotte. Its got a rose comb and the lacing. Lacing is a little funky, but its a hatchery bird so that is to be expected.

The splash laced happens when breeding blue laced together, theres a 25% chance of it.

That makes sense. I haven't seen one of those and it didn't look quite right for the BLRW.

X2 on Splash Laced Red Wyandotte.

Not a Splash Laced Red Wyandotte, at least in my opinion. The comb is actually a pea comb, whereas Wyandottes have rose combs. I'm pretty sure that this bird is a White Laced Red Cornish.

Not a Splash Laced Red Wyandotte, at least in my opinion. The comb is actually a pea comb, whereas Wyandottes have rose combs. I'm pretty sure that this bird is a White Laced Red Cornish.

That's a good observation on the comb. I could see that it wasn't a single comb, but I missed seeing that it was a pea comb. Thanks.

It kind of does, i thought wyandottes since the fourth picture looks like a rose comb, might just be the angle though

Do you have a better picture of its comb?

Im leaning more towards cornish now.

Back
Top Bottom