OPINIONS ON THESE BREEDS

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Jan 10, 2008.

1. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Delawares, Buckeyes,Welsummers, Campamines, and Phenixes. These would all be pullets I am just trying to decide what to get as my sixth addition to my list ?

Henry

2. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    anyone have an opinion on them?

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

The only one I have any experiance with is the welsummer. I like mine. They lay a nice dark egg and are more consistant layers than my marans. I'd say they're not quite as calm, especially when young, but they are nice hens.

4. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:Good/GREAT(nothing better)/not sure/very purty, lay slightly smaller eggs, but consistent/dont know

5. Napalongtail

Napalongtail Longtail Longtimer

Jan 31, 2007
    NE Washington
    I loved my welsummer she was slow to start but good sized egg, and Phoenix well they are my area of expertise. My hens lay well, the egg is on the smaller size if you are going to sell eggs but they do lay very consistently. I have no experience with the other breeds in question.

6. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    are phenixes flighty?

Thanks Henry

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

helmstead has Silver Phoenix and she had Delaware, which I hatched eggs from. Someone has bred an aggressive strain of Delaware and if you get those, you'll be unhappy with them. They are not representative of the way the breed is supposed to be. I have two pullets and two cockerels and I sold all four of them-mean, flighty things, all four. I wanted the "textbook" version of them, which would be great because they lay very large eggs and are beautiful birds.

8. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Speckled Hen Thanks For the heads up I am just thinking about addin a white egg layer to my flock whick would you think is the least flighty: White Leghorns, Brown Leghorns, Phenixes, and Golden Campamines?

thanks Henry

9. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    ? (shamless Bump)

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I know that Kate loves her Phoenix. I hatched a pullet from a cross between her Silver Phoenix rooster and a Barred Rock hen I named Raven because she was solid black. She is very, very sweet and gentle. They lay smaller eggs than say a Leghorn would, though. Can't say about the Campines as I have no experience with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by