Opinions on this as a brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WaddleWaddle, Feb 24, 2014.

1. WaddleWaddle

WaddleWaddle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2013
    Culpeper, VA
    I have 22 chicks and 18 ducklings coming March 18th. I have been trying to figure out a suitable brooder as we are currently expanding our coop from a repurposed shipping container to a 12'x16' shed we are currently building and should have done in 2 weekends. My husband came up with the idea of using this to brood the babies in and then install it in the run afterwards. http://m.lowes.com/product?langId=-...=4667327&store=1803&view=detail&nValue=SEARCH We purchased it yesterday and it measures 7.5' long by 6' wide. I am planning on using cardboard or wire to increase the height around the perimeter.
    Any opinions or suggestions?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Plastic totes are really popular for brooders, that pretty much would just be a really big one, and the ducks will be happy to have a pond afterwards, nice idea. The main problem I see is with the irregular shaped edges is how to put wire/cardboard on there so the chicks don't get through... might be easier to make screens that goes over the whole top since the edges would have to be pretty high to keep the chicks in once they start flying in a few weeks?

3. WaddleWaddle

Dec 1, 2013
    Culpeper, VA
    @Kelsie2290 thanks for the idea. I think that would work better.

4. WaddleWaddle

Dec 1, 2013
    Culpeper, VA
    Do you think it will be large enough to brood everyone?

5. Beanzie

Beanzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2014
    It is interesting, and I can't see why it wouldn't work. That shape likely won't be convenient, but at least you can hose it down. I don't know how to measure chickens in gallons, so I don't know how many would fit. ;)

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I would think it would be big enough to brood everyone for at least a couple of weeks, taking the odd shape into account it looks like you have a good 20+ square feet of bottom space for 40 birds.

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

My thinking is that it's going to be a tight fit for 40 little critters. The shelves inside the edges reduce the inside floor space from the measurements given. You can probably get away with it if your planning on having them out of there in a couple weeks. Better hurry lol!

8. Gingersnap722

Gingersnap722 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    FL
    We took one of these and dug out a space for it in our yard for our ducks when we had them. Hubby also cut out a part and put a pipe long enough to drain into our pond (no, the ducks wouldn't swim in the actual pond, they enjoyed only clean water in this one) so all you had to do was open the drain and let the water run out each morning, close the drain and fill it back up with clean water. Worked like a charm. Ducks are so dirty and get their water dirty in record time, so it's much easier to have something you can drain instead of using a kiddie pool that you have to flip over (that was a nightmare!).

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by