1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Opinions on this as a nest box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken Cake, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Chicken Cake

Chicken Cake Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2015
    I know the price is crazy but it fits my space and we won’t have to makeshift anything to keep chickens off the top. I have 4 hens but only one is laying so far. Two huge Brahmas and two average sized. I’d like to have one large community box for them and I’d like to be able to pull it out for thorough cleaning occasionally.

Dimensions are 19” at the widest point, 20” tall without the plant and a 9X9” opening.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MPR2GI/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

2. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    That's is way to much money. Get a milk crate. Or a small used dog carrier off craigslist.

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Its a lot of money, but it'll work fine if that's what you want.

4. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

A large Rubbermaid tote is much cheaper than that cat litterbox thing.
    It's just too much money to spend IMO.

5. Chicken Cake

Mar 25, 2015
    So no glaring issues besides the cost?

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    The size, shape, and construction of your nesting boxes should be influenced by whether you intend to hen hatch baby chicks. If you do then a movable nesting box that has sufficient air flow potential that can rest on the floor and that has both a solid bottom and a top that overlaps the sides by about two inches on at least 3 if not on all 4 sides is the way to go. Hens IMHO also tend to lay more readily in such a nest box because it is more private and mimics but doesn't try to fool Mother Nature.

7. Chicken Cake

Mar 25, 2015
    No chick hatching here.

Are you saying what I linked to is or is NOT inviting to a hen?

8. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    I don't see why they wouldn't like it. But then They are just as likely to lay in a corner in your coop!
    Put some fake eggs in it when you put it in the coop and they will be more likely to set in it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by