Opinions on this Frizzled Cochin?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SpeckledPullet, Dec 18, 2010.

1. SpeckledPullet

SpeckledPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    Would anyone be so kind as to critique this roo? He is coming up on a year of age. I'd like to do county fairs with him and if nice enough, APA shows (although I know that is probably a stretch). [​IMG]

Pics are the best I could get with very little light to work with (taken tonight). Sorry! He really IS white, lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

I know nothin' about show birds.. but that is one pretty frizzle cochin. [​IMG]

3. SpeckledPullet

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    Thank you! I have a huge soft spot for frizzles. They're absolutely my favorites, even if they are oddballs.

4. SpeckledPullet

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    bump

5. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Don't know much about show birds, but I really want to hug your frizzle! Beautiful! [​IMG]

6. SpeckledPullet

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    Thank you KLA. I have not yet tried to hug him, lol. Actually, he is pretty friendly, but does need a bit more work on handling.

7. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    With Cochins it is all about cushion, or big butts. You boy may just be standing in a way that does not display his attributes but from here it looks like he may be a bit lacking in the cushion. I am posting a photo of Duster, my Mottled Boy. He has won BV in several shows but with not very many others in the group. I do get lots of good comments on him however. The photo may help you make your on decision on if he is show quality, it that is what you are interested in. He is beautiful and the white is awesome, Comb is good as well.
    [​IMG]

8. SpeckledPullet

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    I love your mottled Jimjay! On that note, I have a question for you. At what age did your boy start to really mottle? I have what I think is a blue mottle, but he's not quite a year yet and doesn't have much white. Someone told me they often times to not color up until after a year.

9. cochin123

cochin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    fort walton beach, fl
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] i still want eggs !!! [​IMG]

10. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Sorry it took so long to reply. All my birds are in some stage of molt right now and the good news is the mottleing get better after the molt. I have one girl that had very few white spots and she is looking so much better and only half way feathered out now. Duster is an older boy going on 4 and his mottleing has not changed very much since I have had him. A little named Lucy, actually had to much white and now has darkened some, again she is not fully feathered out yet so who knows. One thing for sure they all look different after molt. Good luck with yours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by