Opinions on traveling with chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wegotchickens, Jun 25, 2008.

1. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Has anyone taken week-old chicks on an 8-9 hour drive in their car before? Did they travel well? Did you encounter any unexpected problems?

I tried to search this topic and came up empty...

Any input would be appreciated.

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I've traveled 5 hours with 3 or 4 week olds no problems...just make sure you have food and water along to give them they do fine.....and a secure box or cage they won't roll around too much in ...

Might want to remember they pooo so will need the windows down alot if you have alot of them!...lol

3. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    It would just be 4-6, and I'd already planned on bringing the feed, water and plenty of bedding.
    I'll take them from the regular tub and put them in a smaller cardboard box. That should mimimize any rolling around.
    We're traveling all night, so I think that being in a smaller box will help them stay warm as well. And I'll put airholes in there too.

I figured this probably wouldn't be too difficult, but DH is trying to discourage me from taking them... So I thought I'd get opinions as back-up.

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Why do you want to take them? how long will you be gone/ If it is only a night or two id keep them at home . its less stressfull than traveling., just have somebody check on them.

5. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    It's for 8 days, and these are chicks I really want to be well-socialized. The lady who's tending my hens & cats doesn't want the responsibility of babies. So I know they won't get the one-on-one time I feel they need.

I didn't mean to hatch any so late, but got the eggs in later than I'd planned. Couldn't let them go to waste, as this is a breed I've become very smitten with. They're banties, so quite tiny right now.

The people we're staying with love the idea of my bringing them, so it won't be an imposition from their perspective. But it would be for my reliable chicken-sitter. So...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by