1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

opinions on wagg and bakers dog food??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Johnn, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    ?

2. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    http://www.waggfoods.co.uk/products.aspx?ProductID=2

you
    mean this? Here's the list of ingredients.

Wheat, Meat Meal (min 10% beef in red kibble), Wheatfeed, Maize, Poultry Fat, Digest, Linseed, Beet Pulp, Rice, Peas (min 4% in pea kibble), Lucerne, Minerals, Yeast (0.08%), Citrus Extract (0.04%) & Yucca Extract (0.01%)

It's only 10% meat and the rest is mostly grain. I would find something much much better than this. It looks really low-end to me. Sorry

3. carolinagirl58

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    http://www.bakerscomplete.co.uk/Products/MainMeal/View.aspx?BrandCode=ADULTCOMPLETE

this
    is Bakers. Not much better than the Wagg stuff. Still mostly non-meat product.

Cereals (35%), Meat and animal derivatives (26% meat in the chunk, 4% beef in the brown & natural kernels), Vegetable protein extracts, Derivatives of vegetable origin, Oils and fats, Various sugars, Minerals, Vegetables (4% vegetables in the green & yellow kernels).

4. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    agree. mostly grain.

5. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Not a good food, for sure. I would definitely recommend something with a lot more meat content. Taste of the Wild is very popular, we have had great luck with it.

6. julnjake

julnjake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    SW PA
    Try Raw Prey Model Diet, it's the best!!!!

7. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    well my friend said to feed him iams but i might put him on chappie because he has a sensitive stomach

8. carolinagirl58

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    I googled that one too....it's no good. It's very low in protein and is mainly corn (maize) and wheat. Iams isn't great, but it's far better than the ones you listed. Can you get Iams Lamb and rice? It's pretty good for dogs with stomach issues. If a dog has stomach issues, you want to avoid feed that has grains because dogs were not designed to digest grains.

9. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    With that list of ingredients, I sure hope it is really cheap. You could give your dog 2 slices of bread and a piece of baloney and it would be a better diet. To make it more like the dog food, you'd put a couple pieces of grass into the sandwich, since the kibble has hay in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by