Opinions on whether to 'help' them out or not please!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hd_darcy, May 7, 2011.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I have had a couple threads on my current situation. I hope it's okay that I'm starting another one. It's a new question, moreorless. So, my situation is that I am currently on day 21 w/ 12 eggs in the incubator. HOWEVER, I had low temps the first 2 - 3 days due to a broken thermometer. So, instead of locking them down on Wednesday which was day 18, I waited until yesterday to do it. Unfortunately, I didn't notice until I was candling the eggs that two had pipped already (duh). I could hear the chick inside it even. UGH, I panicked and filled up my incubator w/water and put them back in there. Well, now it's been about 24 hours later, and only a tiny bit of progress last night w/ one of the eggs. It started to zip maybe 1/2 inch. There are two others in there that have tiny holes in them. Besides those three, I have 9 other eggs. I haven't seen any rocking, and have heard just faint chirps. Should I attempt to help out the three that have pipped, or do I leave 'em alone until maybe morning? I really want to help only as a last resort. I'm wondering how long I can possibly wait???

Anyone been in a similar situation? Any advice on what you would do personally??? Thanks in advance!

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Every chick I have ever helped has died before week out, and I never 'bleed them' (I was careful enough helping that I caused no damage myself)

Something in going the -work- of hatching helps them, it pushes the fluids to the right places, lines up the right muscles and stuff...

-other help successfully all the time...-

chicks have approx 23 days of food in the egg from hour 'zero' in incubation... maybe 25 with development halting or slowing with cool temps...

so how long has it been total?

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  3. chickenfeverforever

chickenfeverforever Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    I have had to help 2 chicks out this hatch. Piped for 16 hours with no zipping or progress at all. I just help zip, I made they kick out and everything. Chicks appear to be fine thus far. Guess only time will tell.

4. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Today, is actually only day 21, and that is with the first couple days of low temps. I thought that they wouldn't live past 24 - 36 hours after pipping (which they did yesterday) though if they didn't break-out? Did I misunderstand?

Would love to hold onto hope! Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by