Opinions on which chicks to order?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Angiebubs, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I am having a difficult time trying to narrow my choices down...I am hoping to order just 4 chicks.....that way I can enjoy them more in small batches.
    Info:
    Live in WI-so need chickens that can handle -30 up to 90 degrees and humid
    Have plenty of room in coop and run
    Will be with mixed breeds/sizes
    Want primarily for personality/disposition as well as decent egg layer

With that said-which four should I choose of the following list??????

Black Frizzle Cochin
    Salmon Favorelle
    Blue Andalusian
    Silver Laced Wyndotte
    Easter Egger
    Blue Cochin
    Light Brahma
    Mille Fleur D'Uccle
    Silver or Silver LacedPolish

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    If it were me id get
    Salmon
    Silver laced
    Ee
    Light braham
    [​IMG]

3. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm in WI and I've been happy with my Brahmas and EE.

4. DelilahJones

DelilahJones Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Also in WI. I am very happy with the laying and disposition of my Barred Rocks, Buff Orpingtons and EE's.

5. scrange79

scrange79 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    California
    I've found that my Wyandottes are the best "winter month" layers in my mixed flock. I have a cochin that is very fun to watch - silly and always first to the back door when it opens - but I think personalities are different from chicken to chicken. I love my mixed flock. Have fun with yours [​IMG]
    Angie

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I always liked Henderson's chicken chart when picking out chicken breeds.

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

For temperament and cold hardiness, I usually go with heavy breeds and smaller combs.

For personality and egg laying, it's been hard to beat my Faverolles and Plymouth Rocks. Both have been the type to come over and sit in your lap, if they're welcome. They've been really good foragers, too. My Faverolles are my best mosquito eaters. Even though it's a drop in the bucket, it makes me feel better. Plus, I love the way they look.

I've never had cochins or brahmas, but people always say lots of good things about them and seem to really love them.

Although most people say their EEs are some of the nicest chickens in their flock, the ones I had must have been mixed with something more aggressive. I had problems with mine being aggressive to some of the other chickens in the flock.

The Andalusians I raised were definitely not as mellow as the other breeds I've had. I was raising them for my neighbor. I don't know how cold hardy they ended up being, with larger combs. I usually go for calmer birds, with smaller combs.

Polish are very nice birds. I would trim their crests if they have trouble seeing. Since I free range, I need them to be able to see well. Sometimes when they can't see well, it makes them more shy, too.

I'm not sure how cold hardy frizzles are, because of their feather abnormality. Maybe some other people can comment on that.

I also love Australorps, Sussex and Orpingtons, even though you need fewer chickens on your list, not more! [​IMG]

7. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    salmon favorelle, easter eggers, wyndotte and brahmas.

8. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Thank you for all the great input!! I forgot to mention I currently have barred rocks, black orpington, and then the following mixes: dorking x blk orpingtons, and cochin x (ee or favorelle or? Lil cuties with facial muffs and feathered legs) a black sex linked, dorking x iowa blue mix and one top hat mix. So currently of the 15 I have, 8 are black!!! one white/black, 3 BRs, and one golden banty...so thinking I want some other colors.

I'm pretty sure that with this order a SL Wyndotte and a EE are givens....

9. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm not familiar with Andalusians but are supposed to be rugged foragers and great for cold.
    Depending on the line, in my experience, Cochins and Polish aren't reliable layers. Polish are also susceptible to predators.
    The rest of your list is good.

10. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I really want a blue/grey....and am ordering from MPC-with what Im looking for it seems that the blue cochin or blue andalusian are the only choices? and the blue andalusian would give me white eggs-only one in my flock I beleive..

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by