1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Opinions please! 2nd Swollen belly/bumblefoot? :-(((

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Echobabe, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Echobabe

Echobabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Hi all,
    2 days ago I had to put down an eggbound, abdomen swollen hen with (I believe) peritonitis. She had maggots and effluent and random tissue that looked like ovaduct hanging. I felt 2-3 eggs behind her vent. She was so swollen nothing was getting past that vent (it looked like parts of her had twisted and were blocking anything from exiting the vent. A few days before I notice she was being followed by flies. I checked her out, didn't notice anything off, thought the flies were due to her having some poo stuck. So I washed it off and went on about my day.

The reason I mention her is because today I have another girl with her abdomen swelling & squishy. Ruby is not acting sick. She did not feel eggbound. I took a fecal sample into our vet, but he is out until Wednesday. I brought her inside and looked her over and the only obvious thing I see is bumblefoot on both feet. Not one big scab, but several small scabs on each foot. I have soaked her feet twice, lifted the scabs and cleaned out what I could. The pads have no hard kernels to be felt, so I assume that soaking, cleaning and antibiotic ointment overnight will help remedy the situation. I did find 1 hard kernel on the underside of a toe-tip that might need to be lanced.

QUESTION: I am sure bumblefoot can go systemic--but can they get a swollen belly from bumblefoot? I started her on duramycin this evening to treat that. I know if the swelling gets worse, it will need to be drained. I hope my vet can show me how to do it on Wednesday if that is needed.

She kept trying to get on top of the cage earlier. I checked on her an hour later and she had laid an egg on top of the cage. So I am SURE this is not egg peritonitis. I have a small flock (now 5) and I really don't want to bur another one soon. Ruby is 5. The one I lost on Saturday was also 5.

2. Echobabe

Oct 30, 2007
    Giving this a bump, lots of looks no replies yet.

QUESTION: I am sure bumblefoot can go systemic--but can they get a swollen belly from bumblefoot? Is there anything else I should be doing?

Thank you!

3. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I have a thread that has some good bumblefoot info. It's around here somewhere...

4. Echobabe

Oct 30, 2007
    How did your bumblefoot surgery go?

Mine, not so good. She has a spot on the top of a toe, just under the nail. I can see the kernel, but can't figure out how to get at it without destroying the entire top of her toe. As for the foot pad, I soaked and lifted the scabs and soaked and monkeyed some more, and I never got to the kernel. The rest are soft, not hard, so maybe just lifting the scabs and cleaning nightly will resolve them.

I am almost ready to go looking for a scalpel to use on the side of her toe, so I can dig for the kernel from the side instead of the top.

NOT FUN11 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by