1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Opinions please! Best breeds for a small mixed flock

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FelixFelicis, Mar 22, 2015.

1. FelixFelicis

FelixFelicis Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2014
    North Yorkshire, uk
    Hello everyone!

We're getting closer to finishing our coop so I'm looking into chicken breeds.

Our flock will be of just 5/6 hens. At least one of those will be an Orpington. I want a few different breeds, preferably all docile and good layers, who will all get along in the same coop.

So far I like the look of welsummers, legbars, light sussex and wyandottes.

What do you suggest?

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    I like Wyandottes, Plymouth Rocks (barred, white, partridge, ect.), Sussex, and Orpingtons.

3. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    I agreed. Australorps are another good breed, and I have heard that legbars are a good choice too. Hope all goes well with your future flock!

4. Six Goldies

Six Goldies Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2014
    Golden Sex Links, ours have been great layers, X-Large eggs, Autrolorps, beautiful and docile. Cant give a good egg review yet as our girls started laying a month ago and are laying small eggs (although expecting X-large eggs).
    Good Luck with your upcoming brood.. sure love ours!

5. termites1938

termites1938 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2015
    East Tennessee
    I'm in a similar situation. The brooder is ready and the coop is almost done. I chose what I hope are calm egg layers. Black Australorp, Barred Rock, Sussex, RIR. Good luck with you flock.

6. chickenpatch

chickenpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    Some pretty breeds are Polish, Frizzles, Hamburgs, SIlkies, Aloha's and general Bantam breeds.

7. HopieGirl4Ever

HopieGirl4Ever The Chook Artist

Oct 23, 2014
    At my Desk
    Good luck! Some breeds I like include Polish, Easter Eggers, and Cochins. Good luck again and let us know what breeds you end up getting! [​IMG]

8. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Yes, I forgot to mention Easter Eggers!

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I would recommend adding Black Australorps to your flock. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds) and they are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children and granddaughter made lap pets of them), and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by