Opinions please... I'm prepared for honesty...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChobeeChickenMommy, Oct 5, 2011.

1. ChobeeChickenMommy

ChobeeChickenMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    Okeechobee, FL
    Here's my questions:

1) I bought my original EE mixes back in July (like the 3rd week or so) & I was told that they were approx 4-6 weeks in age when we bought them. So that would make them around 15-17 weeks old now right? (My math is probably off, I have been sick & I am exhausted...) So if they are actually pullets they should start laying between 18-20 weeks right?! I know one is a cockerel/roo for sure now he is starting to crow frequently & trying to mount my bigger girls... But the other 3 are smaller & I was told were younger than he is when we bought them... What should I think/do?

2) How can I help my inherited EE's & Black Australorps start laying for me? When I got them from my friend's mom I know they were laying & that was over 3 weeks ago... So how do I get them to start again? They aren't molting, I don't think, & they seem extremely happy & healthy. They run around, let us pet them & hold them, & even let my kids sit w/ them in the run...

Thanks in advance!!

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    EEs generally start laying pretty late compared to other breeds. 25-30 weeks isn't uncommon.

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Sometimes it just takes a while for hens to get comfortable in a new place. I also agree that it could be even next spring before the younger hens start laying. It will depend on how many hours of daylight you get.

4. dakotasnake

dakotasnake Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2008
    pateince there little lady

5. ChobeeChickenMommy

ChobeeChickenMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    Okeechobee, FL
    Thank you all! I just wanna make sure we aren't doing anything wrong, or over stimulating them, etc...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by