1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Opinions please - playhouse coop how much more winterizing?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Nana2KJS, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Nana2KJS

Nana2KJS Chicks-n-Ahs

Mar 21, 2009
    SE Kansas
    Many of you have seen my little coop (see avatar). I just have a couple questions about winterizing it.

This side faces north:
    [​IMG]

Here is the same end from the inside. I did put foam board insulation under the roof this weekend.
    [​IMG]

The south end has the same vent in the gable, the south walls are windows. I have trim boards that I left off for the summer, that could be put on to cover the gap above the gables. I was also thinking about putting a piece of plywood on the inside of the coop to cover the 4 wall vents. The pop hole is on the south side and has heavy plastic strips covering it. I'll probably just leave that; if it gets really cold I can slide the door down over it.

The little house seems to be draft-free. I can't feel any wind when I stand inside it. I just don't want to over-do it and have it too closed up. It's about 4x6, DLM, 4 BO hens. Any thought/suggestions will be appreciated.

2. Nana2KJS

Nana2KJS Chicks-n-Ahs

Mar 21, 2009
    SE Kansas
    No suggestions?[​IMG]

3. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    Don't know what to tell you, because winters in Texas are SO much warmer than in Kansas. Mine were fine last year in an un-insulated metal building that had vent holes around the top. (You need some ventilation to avoid condensation.) But our temps only drop into the 20s, and it doesn't stay there long.

You might want to put a few hay bales in there for them to roost on. It puts a lot of insulation under them, they have room to huddle, and they can sleep on their feet to keep them warm.

Good luck!

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.ChickenTrackin.com

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I see you have vents at roost level. Personally, I'd make closeable covers for those. Keep in mind I'm a northern girl, we deal with -40C chill factor and heavy snow...[​IMG]

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    That's a cute coop!

If it were me, in what I understand of the Kansas climate, I would probably not put plywood over all those vents (at least not with screws); I would make individual thingies to close them, even if it's just blocks that you wrap weatherstripping around and shove into the vents. Or if you want to use a sheet of plywood for simplicity, make it attach with *hooks* or some such thing, so it can easily be removed and replaced multiple times per winter according to the weather.

Overall I think you'll be in good shape [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. Nana2KJS

Nana2KJS Chicks-n-Ahs

Mar 21, 2009
    SE Kansas
    I like the idea of a moveable cover for the wall vents... my thinking cap went on as soon as I saw your post, Pat. That will be my next weekend project. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by