Opinions please.... wire size

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChanceRider, Oct 26, 2008.

1. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    I'm dang near finished with my combined chicken/duck run and have tried to build it to Ft Knox specs. Next I'm going to convert half of our 16' x 8' woodshed into a coop with attached run for some meat birds. Because we have the usual predators (coons, possums, foxes, coyotes, bobcats, big cats, etc) I want to line the bottom and cover the top of the meaties run. I've about used up all the 1/2" x 1' wire that I have and am wondering if 2" x 4" horse fencing would work? I'll bite the bullet and get some smaller wire for the sides of the run and the window in the coop.

Thanks for your opinions... I'm new to the bird business having just got chickens and ducks in July and August. I really value the benefit of all the experience on these forums!

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

We also have lots of potential predators but I built ours with 2 X 4 welded wire and then put 1 inch chicken wire half way up to keep out small ground animals. So far so good. Even keeps out the hawks. Any large animal, if it wants in is going to get in. But the heavier wires tend to discourage them enough that they don't bother.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I did that for my young birds in my nursery coop. I only had 3' chicken wire and put it around the bottom too. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    For the sides of the meatie run I'll probably use 1/2" x 1" welded wire, just to discourage those little coon paws from trying to reach in. So far so good.

On our layer's run I actually laid down a "floor" of 1/2" x 1" wire and then covered it with a few inches of dirt so they're not walking on it and can still dig dust bath pits. I'm wondering if the 2" x 4" horse fencing would be sufficient for the covered floor of the meaties run. (it's easier to line the entire floor of their run than dig down 12" or so and bury the wire along the outside of the run).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by