1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Opinions please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ThreePumpkins, Jun 9, 2016.

1. ThreePumpkins

ThreePumpkins Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Today I received shipped duck eggs, and two were smashed. Being a homeschool momma, we took them outside to examine the contents (my son's first experience with duck eggs). One was definitely fertile, and quite a bit developed, yikes! The other, well, I am struggling to tell if it is or not. Any opinions?

I am a bit worried about the viability with this hatch. This might be two disappointing hatches in a row...ouch ($$). Starting to get a bit discouraged.

2. ThreePumpkins

[​IMG]

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Yes on the fertility and yikes on the development. [​IMG] to a fellow homeschooler. We homeschool as well. That is how we got into chicken keeping....lol Shipped eggs can be costly and very disspointing. I hope you can at least get a couple hatchers.

4. ThreePumpkins

I was hoping to hatch a few Ancona Ducks, but of the eight eggs I received, I am down to six, and two of those are cracked. I am going to have to start taking vacations...and pick up hatching eggs on the return trip. ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by