1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Opinions please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by addicted2chicks, Apr 19, 2009.

1. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    I looked it up here but had found alot of different answers. We are trying to decide what to use on the floor of the coop. We have a newer cement floor and are wanting something that is feesable and safe for the chickens. Thinking straw or hay? What is the good and bad with each?
    Will probably use DE sprinkled on it also once I get some ordered. Thanks

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Our flooring is treated lumbar, we cover it with pine shavings. We can sweep up the poo and not have to dispose of all of it. We have straw in the nesting boxes. This method seems to be what has worked best for us.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    We have a linoleum floor. Sweep and mop it every week. Put down a little DE with pine shavings.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    We have a painted wood floor. Pine shavings on the floor, hay in the nest boxes.

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Ohio
    You want hay for eating and straw for laying on. Hay will mold if left on the ground too long. I'm brand new to chickens so I have no idea if they eat hay.

Karen

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:My hens peck at the hay in their nest boxes occasionally, more out of boredom while sitting there waiting to lay their egg; kinda like magazines in a doctor's office.
    I change the hay in the nest boxes once a week. Throw it out the coop door and the cows come running. Recycling at its best.

7. LightenUp

LightenUp Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Laketown, Utah
    What does DE refer to?

Robin

8. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:I have cement floor too and believe it or not or what I ever used is plain old dirt, yes I get a wheelberol full of dirt and spred it inside and keep on raking the poo out, my coop never ever smell , the only thingg you have to spray it with some water once and a while to keep dust down.

9. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I, too, am using shavings over linoleum. It's a small coop soI canclean it really easily. My poor kids think I'm building them a playhouse. I'll be building that next. LOL I'll owe them that at least.

DE=diatomaceous earth

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by