Opinions Please!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by silkiechick05, Oct 27, 2009.

1. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Okay, i was wondering if one layer of 19 gauge 1/2" by 1/2" galvanized wire is strong enough to keep out:

Coyotes

Raccoons

Possums

Large 85lb dog (neighbors insist on letting their dogs roam wherever)

Skunks

Snakes

OR

do you think i should beef up the wire and have two layers?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  2. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Whatever it is, I need that toughness too. Did you add snakes?

3. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:good idea.

i will add that

4. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    Aha!!! A foolish person has asked me for my opinion![​IMG]

Here goes.

I think one layer is just fine. Two layers is overkill and extra money spent.

I think the one layer will keep out everything on the list except snakes, which can follow anywhere a mouse can go, and even if you had seven times seven layers, the mice can go anywhere they darned please, and -- imho -- snakes are always welcome to the mice.

(I do SO love it when people ask for my opinion!)

5. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:haa haa you're funny!! When I read the post title, I went "uh-oh OP is in for it now"!!! LMAO!

6. christa7032

christa7032 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2009
    Personally I don't count on anything anymore. My coop was a chain link dog run with extra wire run around it and a tarp sealing the top shut and something still killed 3 of my girls. I think they did this without ever actually getting into the coop! Whatever it was was reaching through the wire and killing them from the outside! Also a friend of mine lost a couple of girls to a hawk that would hang onto the wire on the outside of the run and reach through to kill the chickens. They were confused when they began finding dead birds in the run until they caught the hawk red handed! So my answer is that one layer may be enough but if predators want to get your girls they will do their best to get in! Good luck.

7. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Yes, you're right. The problem with chain link and anything that has spaces larger than 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch is that predators can reach in and grab birds that pile up in the corners, or roost next to the wire.

But if the wire spacing is small enough, predators can't do that. Mice can get through 1/2 inch spaces, and small snakes, too. But a snake small enough to fit through that kind of opening had better watch out that it doesn't get eaten by the chickens.

8. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    Quote:Amen to THAT! Chickens will chase down and catch anything that moves, if it's small enough, and sometimes even that doesn't matter.

9. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    Quote:Yes, I believe it will be strong enough to keep out the listed predators, as long as it is securely fastened to your fence posts, and as long as it's buried or has an adequate apron.

10. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by