Opinions, please.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bobbi-j, Nov 18, 2010.

1. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It's about time to thin the flock. In my coopful of layers, I currently have 8 that are laying, 2 that are too old (they're going to go), a cochin bantam hen that is no longer laying, but will be kept because she's a great broody. I also have a Light Brahma rooster, and a cochin bantam rooster. My banty hen snuggles up with the banty rooster every night. I've been contemplating culling him because I really don't need two roos, and I want to produce a dual-purpose flock. I'm pretty sure the brahma is the top roo. I don't spend a lot of time hanging around them to see who's breeding who. I had every intention of butchering the banty rooster until he and the little hen started hanging out together on the roost. Should I keep him around for her to roost with at night, or will that be a bad rooster/hen ratio? During the day, these birds all free range with my old hens and rooster that will be in line to go to the soup kitchen very soon.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  2. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    Disclaimer - I'm a big softie...but just because you asked...

I would keep the banty roo unless there begins to be actual trouble between the two roos. If that happens, then you definitely have a decision to make. If not, you have happiness all around. [​IMG]

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I really try not to get too attached to my chickens so it's easier on me when something happens to them or I have to thin my flock. But these two are so darn cute all huddled together on the roost. She's between him and the wall and it looks like he's protecting her.

eta - I'll try to get pictures of them tomorrow evening.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  4. lightfoot

lightfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    NW minnesota
    sometimes true love is found in the lowest places![​IMG]

5. LauraG

LauraG Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Upstate, NY
    Dont do it!!! She'll be heartbroken!!!

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    As much as I hate to do it, I think the banty roo is going to have to go. I just watched him chase my brahma out of the coop. If it had been the other way around, and the brahma was the boss, I would keep him. I really was hoping to justify keeping him, but as I stated before - I want a dual-purpose flock, and Brahma crosses will produce larger eggs and more meat. I need to be practical about my chicken-keeping. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by