opinions, please.

Radine

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 24, 2008
WNY
I think I've decided on the breeds I'd like to get, but I would love some input from experienced owners before I commit. Also I'm not sure if my choices are "okay". I was thinking of getting 1 or 2 Faverolles roosters, and 5 to 6 Sussex hens. Is it okay to mix breeds like that? Is it better to have just 1 roo or are 2 okay, as long as they are raised together. Would 2 Roos be to many for the half dozen hens I'm getting? Any imput would truely be appreciated. Thanks Ray

Ray,
You can "mix and match" anyway you like with chickens. They are flock animals and prfer to be part of a flock.
One roostre would be enough for 5 or 6 hens. If you decided to get 2 roos, they will be fine together for a long time but eventually one of them will establish himself as the alpha roo. Thus fighting and/or chasing will definitely be.
Enjoy your chickens!
@

Thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate it:) I'm off to find some chicks:D

I love the 2 Speckled Sussex girls I have. They are the most friendly and curious of all of my 26 chickens. I don't have experience with Faverolles.
I have the "Rainbow Assortment" from McMurray so I have about 6 or 7 different breeds. For the most part they get along ok though they do have their pecking order.

I have 2 cockerels for my 24 pullets and the Alpha is constantly chasing the Beta away from the girls. If I had fewer girls I probably would only have the one boy. I'm not trying to get fertilized eggs. I like to have the boys as security guards for free-ranging duty.

One boy is plenty for six hens. Two will just cause a non-stop ruckus, and your girls will be constantly harrassed and jumped on.
tongue.png

I'd go with one boy, even though two roos will generally get along fine together, besides some dominance fighting. Plus your girls might get overbred, since 6 hens isn't much for 2 roos, so they could get a bit sore and bald
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom