opinions please

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by abhaya, Dec 13, 2010.

1. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I am thinking ahead to spring hatching. I have a couple silkies that go broody often. Soooo I am thinking ahead what eggs I want to set under them. I have an EE roo (Roo Roo)
    Laying now I have 1 RIR 3 sexlinks By spring I will have 1 barred plymoth rock 1 brown leghorn 2 austrolopes and 1 or 2 EE not sure yet if one is a roo. I dont need any more layers but I would like some meat birds.
    The EE roo is a big boy.
    I got Rooroo because the kids wanted colored eggs and I am gonna keep him fore ener as he is a sweet roo. I pet him every night when I put the gals up. He is not an obnoxious (sp) crower.

I am thinking the sex links they are really nice size birds and the rock The austrolopes and EE are about 10 weeks now so not real sure how big they are gonna be. The RIR is hatchery quality and not very big but an awesome layer.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  2. lambchicks

lambchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    North Carolina
    My first batch of hens were red sex links. This past spring, I got a varity, because my boys wanted colored eggs too. But I have decided, from now on it will be sex links. Because the egg production is un surpassable as far as I am concerned. So if you want lots of eggs, that would be my opinion. Good Luck!

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If you're wanting meat birds, don't set the brown leghorn's eggs, there's nothing to them. I've crossed brown leghorn and ee and the offspring remains smaller than my other dual purpose mixes.

The EEs themselves tend to not be overlarge, then hens anyway. I also have a large ee roo [​IMG]

Mixes off your rir, barred rock and sex-links should be decent eaters at twenty or so weeks. As far as hens, keep in mind that whoever is laying this winter may not be laying next winter, do you need to hatch out some replacements? I'm such an enabler lol.

4. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    Quote:[​IMG] The barred, leghorn are about 20 weeks now the austoplops and EE are only about 10 ish so I will have new layers this spring. The sex links just started laying eggs a couple weeks ago. They should all lay thru next winter. but nice try!!! I will be hatching this spring for meat and maybee an ee layer if one of the ones I have turns out to be a roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by