1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Opinions please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rmh0508, Aug 19, 2011.

1. rmh0508

rmh0508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Engadine, MI
  2. Edwards' East of Eden

Edwards' East of Eden Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Biloxi, MS
    I am SO not an expert here, but I know that I have a tendency to not really comprehend dimensions when they're just written down.

That is 9.5" x 10.5" x 14.5" ... a normal sheet of notebook paper is 8.5"x11". Think about maybe stacking two of those plastic shoeboxes on top of each other, and that's going to be larger than the interior of that incubator. Maybe wander around your house with a tape measure and find something about that size and really look at it?

Edited to add: That's inside dimensions, where you can actually fit in eggs. And one shelf in there. And, aside from that, the bottom, and you're supposed to fit in a plastic container with enough surface area for water to evaporate to keep your humidity right. Or, line the shelf and the bottom with paper towels or sponges, and then open that whole door all the time to a) add more water, and b) let out all the heat. I'd think about it a lot.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2011
  3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Well.... I think some folk on here use the Repti-Pro and have decent hatch rates with it.

BUT... If you ahve $170 to spend I think you could do way better with a Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco (with manual turn) for $140 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brinsea-Oct...594?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c7f80cd2 or a Hovabator 16102N with the auto turner for $80 http://www.ebay.com/itm/HovaBator-E...123?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf2d579d3 or for ultimate cheapness, a Hovabator 1602N without the auto turners for $70 http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOVABATOR-I...508398&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=2176146687928080961

4. rmh0508

rmh0508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Engadine, MI
    Well I found out that you have to by a specific turner to go with the repti pro and since I have 2 perfectly good turners right now I don't think I need that added cost. I do have a hova-bator right now it is just missing a power cord and I have the turner for it as well so I think I am just going to order the cord and give that bator a try. Right now I just don't have a fortune to spend on a bator since whatever I am hatching I am giving away right now and later will be bought eggs for my own flock.
    Yhanks for the responses and I am sure i will have a hundred more questions while I am getting "bator-legs" lol

5. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    If you go to www.brinsea.com you can get their ADV incubator for $119. It turns, does a countdown, monitors temps and hatches 7 eggs.

6. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Hi [​IMG]!
    I hatch tortoises and turtles but just recently have ventured into the world of the chicken [​IMG] ! I have two of these incubators and they have increased my hatch rate of Central American Ornate Wood Turtles to 100 percent! Quite an accomplishment indeed!!! Here is a picture of the one with my chickie eggs! It had 27 chickie eggs to start but I have removed 4 and am down to 23. When it is time to go into lockdown I will move one shelf into the second incubator so the chicks have more head room. They not only cool - something very valuable in South Texas with our streak of 105 temps but the have a car plugin so if you lose power you can plug it into your car!!! A Tortoise saver for sure!!!! We lose power a lot - once for almost three days! I made secondary shelfs out of styrofoam and cut little egg indents into them and it seems to be working fine. Of course I manually turn the eggs! Tortoise eggs are the opposite - you can not move them even a tiny bit or you will kill them! I hope this helps [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Lol.. THAT makes it tempting to me! it was 106 here yesterday... so I had fans pointing at my incubators for most of the day... looks like today will be the same way too

8. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    106!!! Right now 0600 hrs in WY it's a cool 46 with expected highs in the low 70's, . I keep my incubator in the basement but might have to bring it up it might be too cold !
    Ayda

9. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm in Montana and we've got highs in the 80s and low 90s, with lows in the 40s. I'll be happier when we get the cool down.

10. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I'm never moving to Texas. You guys surely are living global warming. LOL. I thought it was bad here in Ohio. We've only had a couple bad hot days. High today 85. You guys on Texas would think it was winter already. You know what they say about the temps being over 100 degrees. Up here for everyday over 100 means the colder winter you get with below 0 temps. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it sure isn't looking good for y'all. [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by