Opinions please

CindyS

Songster
11 Years
Apr 14, 2008
Geneseo, Illinois
I bought a buff cochin bantam pullet and cockerel a month or so ago, I did notice the pullet was a little off balance but thought it was because she was on wire. Big mistake, She WAS off balance and had trouble walking. I have had them in a rabbit cage away from my flock. a few weeks ago she seemed to be getting worse and thought she would die, then she started improving and now seems normal, is she safe to put with my flock?

Any number of things could have caused the condition. I would be tempted to have a vet draw a vial of blood to have tested, just explain to him what you said here and they should be able to come up with things to test for.

I would keep her separate for a bit longer..
has the cockerel tried to mate with her?

describe her droppings..color and consistency.

is she showing any symptoms of respiratory illness?
(wheezing, mucus in eyes or from beak) swollen or sticky eyes..sneezing, head shaking..

what all are you feeding them?

it's possible the new environment stressed her out, and also a change of feed..
do you have any electrolytes or vitamins on hand?

As always Sammi has the right questions. I have one more, maybe weird one. She was on wire: have you checked the condition of her feet?

I still think Sammi is more on track, but maybe it's worth checking.

you can try putting her on Polyvisol Enfamil for a week then taper off the next (three drops in beak) as this will often help... Adding wheatgerm oil thereafter or a good complet vitamin supplement like Avia Charge 2000 to their feed and live culture yogurt (free choice)
Wont hurt and often gets their system back on track.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom