1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Opinions RE: Silkie Seramas

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by User48, Feb 3, 2008.

1. User48

User48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2007
    My eye is not yet trained to know exactly what I should be looking for quality wise in a Serama, but I came across these Silkie Seramas on a local Craig's List & thought they looked cute. Can anyone who is Serama savvy give me a sense of whether or not they're decent quality? I just bought some eggs of Ebay for Seramas, so it would be nice to have this trio if they're decent quality.

Thanks!

http://stockton.craigslist.org/pet/560557590.html

2. SloCrevs

SloCrevs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Central Coast, CA
    They're not very good quality. The boy has some potential, nice upright tail and a chest(which is more than a lot of roos can say). But he's got a long back. The girls are just plain pets. Not really anything I can say good about them. They almost look like oegb crosses from their pose. How much are they asking?

Edit- I went back and checked the price-$50 for that trio is a little steep. Especially considering you could get 12 eggs for $30(total) from Frank and most likely get a trio, if you have a decent incubator.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  3. User48

Aug 1, 2007
    Thanks! I was hoping someone would be up reading. He was asking 50.00 for all three, but now wants 35.00. He said he got two from a 4H mom & 1 from the sale barn at Stockton. By the way, I noticed that you plan to bring a couple seramas to Fresno. Are they spoken for yet? I'll be at Fresno and will be looking for a couple good quality seramas...

Laura [​IMG]

4. SloCrevs

Oct 21, 2007
    Central Coast, CA
    They look like the birds that were for sale at a show I went to in October. If they are, then I can tell you they look much better in the pic than in person, those were some sad looking little critters. I have roos that I'm going to be selling. No girls. My last hatch resulted in 1 girl, 5 boys. So I'm keeping a pair out of the group, but 4 boys are being re-homed. Sadly, none of the kids in my 4H group can keep roosters(we all live in the city), so they all have to be re-homed. I could take and send you pics of the babes if you would like. They're still young, only 1 1/2 months.

-Sarah

5. User48

Aug 1, 2007
    That would be great, Sarah. I'm on 20 acres & surrounded by farmers, so roosters are fine in these parts. [​IMG] I am especially crazy about all molted chickens & think you may have mentioned having a molted Serama (then again, I've been reviewing a bunch of old posts, so may have you confused). Anyway, I'd love to see any pics you have. Are they still too young to get an idea of quality, even if it's projected quality?

Laura

6. SloCrevs

Oct 21, 2007
    Central Coast, CA
    Well I'm glad you like mottled, b/c all but one of my boys are mottled of some type!
    They come from Frank on here, but so far 3 of the 4 boys are showing good potential. One is a bit big, but he's got good type for such a young'un. The others are looking pretty good too. I have 4 I'm re-homing so here's the breakdown(I'll post pics tommorow):
    1 chocolate and black mottled-total cutie pie, nice tail set, but doesn't stand very upright yet
    1 mottled-nice chest growing in, yes, you can see it on him at 1 1/2 months, and good tail set, just not the best
    1 all black-not the best. Small, but right now he doesn't have much going for him.
    1 wheaton/wheaton laced who knows?-He keeps getting new feathers in, some laced, and just random color patterns. he keeps me guessing. He's getting pretty large though.

-Sarah

7. User48

Aug 1, 2007
    So far I think I like the sound of Pretzel & Paprika the best (saw your web site - great names!). Is there one that you think really shines personality wise? How much are you asking for them?

Thanks for all of your help tonight - oh, wait, I guess it's this morning by now. [​IMG]

Laura

8. SloCrevs

Oct 21, 2007
    Central Coast, CA
    Quote:I personally like Pretzel the best out of the 4. He's more of a love-bug. He follows me around and will let me pick him up(most of the time). Noodle is my baby, he's the one I'm keeping. Jet on the other hand is completely submissive. My little girl picks on him. I've been working with Paprika a lot lately since I'm going to be finding homes for them all, and he's tamed down quite a bit. I hold him and he'll sit there and chatter at me, it's quite cute.
    Quote:I actually hadn't thought about that! I think $5 would be fair for each of them, especially at this age.

9. User48

Aug 1, 2007
    Sorry for dropping off the raider last night; I had a crazy day yesterday & am up again at 2am trying to finish something for work. I would love to take Pretzel for sure. If you're bringing Paprika, and no one has claimed him yet, I'd love to see him. Let me know if you'd like me to Paypal you in advance or just bring $$ to Fresno.

Also, Frank, if you're reading this, I just tried responding to your PM, but it isn't showing up in my sent folder, so I'm just hoping it arrived. The same thing happened to me when I responded to someone who wrote to me about Fresno - wrote yesterday, but it isn't showing that it arrived. Anyway, I'm definitely interested in some eggs, probably in the range of 24. Saturday ship (or Monday, if that's better for you) would be great. Let me know how much to send and where.

Thank you both!

Laura

10. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Yeah, I agree, none of them are of very good quality. All of them are long in the back, but the boys do have a good stance. They aren't anything more than pet quality.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by