1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Opinions, thoughts on why one of the "mutants" (Cornish X) died...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ChanceRider, Jan 7, 2009.

1. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Last night when I went in to remove food from my 29 four week old Cornish X chicks, I noticed odd behavior in one of them. It was panting and lethargic, had it's eyes closed for the most part, but would jump/fly/flutter up every couple of minutes, only to land and be lethargic again. This behavior kept repeating itself. I isolated it by putting it into the brooder, knowing pretty well that it probably wouldn't survive the night.... it didn't.

The coop was not too hot (to cause the panting), it showed no obvious signs of trauma, I had not seen any diarrhea, and the birds had all seemed "normal" in the morning. When I'm in their coop I usually sit for about 15 - 20 minutes, watching... trying to make sure everyone eats/drinks/poops normally and that no one is getting pecked.

I know the fast growing meaties have a higher than usual mortality rate, but does this sound "typical" of when they flip?

Needless to say, I've been down to the coop several times today checking on everyone and looking for signs of stress.

I appreciate any insight you can give... this is my first batch of "mutants" as I call them. TIA!

2. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    It happens, even with the best of care, it is not unusual to lose one here and there. Just keep an eye on the others when you go to feed them, I wouldn't worry yourself too much unless you see several of them doing this. My first year I didn't lose any, the second year I lost one, the guy that I split an order with lost 3. No real cause it just happens.

3. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

They just die- period. Of the ones I've lost, most of them have died at around this age and up. Don't usually lose to many of them younger.

4. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    A lot of them can have heart failure...

5. garnet

garnet Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    thats why I will hesitate at buying that kind of chicken. It scares me that something will just "expire" for no apparent reason. I understand with illness or old age, but just for no reason?

6. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I bought mine from Welp hatchery and they're now over 6 weeks old..NO problems, run around playing outside like normal chickens...it's great!

7. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    4 weeks is when to expect the coccidiossis losses to begin. As stated, there is little you can do to prevent all losses in broilers. Some will die even on medicated feed.

8. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Thanks to everyone for your replies. I guess I do know that the Cornish X have a higher mortality rate, it's frustrating to not know exactly why they die or to be able to prevent it.

Also, this is the first time I've experienced any type of loss (other than old age) with my critters. When I bought my layers I factored in a few "extras" as I figured I might lose a couple... nope, they thrived.

Maybe it's a good thing that I have about 6 hours of volunteer work today that'll keep me away from home... I won't be tempted or able to run down every 30 minutes to check on them!

Thanks again for the words of wisdom and experience!

9. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    we got the red broilers last spring and had no losses, and got the Cornish X last fall and had about 6 die over the course of 8 weeks.
    I really hated that they passed away, and know that they grow so fast that their organs have a hard time keeping up, but we, as a family, agreed that the cornish just dressed out to be more tasty, bigger, and not as tough as the broilers were.

we will get the Cornish from now on, and will just do the best we can to keep them and expect the few losses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by