opinions & tips welcome...desired

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by m2wandc, Dec 30, 2009.

1. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    our beloved "BUFFY" died [​IMG] (buff orpinhgton) not sure how, found her dead in the coop in the AM...she had laid an egg that day, so I'm wondering if she was egg bound and died that fast or if it would be something else?

we are left with two silkies (one hen & one roo)

we want to get a couple chicks that will become bigger egg layers (like Buffy was) but because the coop is now dominated by one roo & one hen, that are a smaller breed...what are opinions, tips, suggestions on bringing in new chicks that will be bigger in size, but hopefully not agressive and hurtful to the chickens that are there now.

We are going to wait until Jan/Feb to order a few from mypetchicken, but if we could find a grown hen, we'd be interested there too...just curious about intergrating bigger sized chickens into a smaller chicken's coop???

Also would like suggestions on which hens lay the most eggs, are the friendliest to people, and heavy enough to not fly over the fence (dogs will eat them, that's how we lost Rocky) [​IMG]

THANK YOU [​IMG]

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Cochins lay nice large eggs, are super friendly, non-aggressive as a rule, and are nice big non-flyers.
    They might be an answer to your problem.

3. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Cochins will mix well with your Silkies, and I believe they can sex the standard size so you wouldn't have to order straight run.

It'll be hit or miss on standard sized "production" birds, more Buffs could work out, as well as the other breeds, but there's a chance one or two might be bossy or even mean.

I have two standard game hens with my 4 Bantams, one is super sweet, the other I have to get after for chasing Prissy, my teeniest hen. Chipmunk is actually lead hen, and she's a mean little snot of a Bantam D'Anver.

Your rooster will welcome new additions, and by the time the chicks are old enough to join him, he should be a gentleman. When the roosters are young and fumbling they can do some damage until they figure things out. Your hen, being a Silkie, should be alright with new additions as well.

The option of adding chicks means they'll be added at around 8 weeks old. Adding a grown hen, who will feel the need to place herself higher than the other hen, is where the potential problem lies. The chicks will stay "low" until they're much older, and may respect the Silkie hen for the duration since she's always been the older one.

Chipmunk was older than Prissy, Prissy was 5 months old when I added Chipmunk and Lil'Bit, Chipmunk being 2 years and Lil'Bit being 4 months. Then I added the two game hens when they were 5 months old. Chipmunk is still the mean dominant one. If I removed Chipmunk, the smaller game will take over, the one who chases Prissy on occasion. Since Chipmunk is so little, I keep her around to be in charge since she can't do that much damage.

I may have to rehome the two games when I go to add the 4 chicks I have growing. Not sure yet. They'll be safe if Chipmunk likes them, since she'll run off the big ones. If Chipmunk doesn't, they'll be fair game for the standards to pick on.

Adding chicks sounds like the best course of action for you, since they'll be much younger, and about the same size by the time they get added to the Silkies. They just can't go in when they're too little, just in case. Expect to brood them for 6-8 weeks.

4. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    MPC has a very good customer service department; you should call them and ask them questions. I got a VERY friendly Dominique and Speckled Sussex from them. I was especially happy with those 2. Also a tip - if their website says it's a breed they can't sell sexed; call and ask them. I did and they sold me sexed chicks even though website said no. Good luck.

5. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    THank you for your reply...our silkie hen is pretty timid...(unless she's tired of the roo chasing her all day trying to get fresh)

The roo is goofy...he will fly towards me at times, and it seems like he's asserting himself towards me, but I'm not 100% sure...and if I turn and face him he runs off...but he does do a fun little mate dance and flits about after his little lady. I'm sure she would appreciate the humping break...seems like every 4 or so days he's extra fresh with is one chicken flock.

I was thinking of ordering chicks in Feb, does that sound about right? I would like to put them out in the coop around MAY...or June...maybe I should order them in March...that might be better....??? hmmmm

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My EE is very timid and she's a great layer of green eggs. My RIR is also very timid. (she's at the bottom of the pecking order)

I think and EE or another BO would be a good choice for you.

7. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I haven't done it, so you might take this with a grain of salt. And that's o.k. [​IMG]

But i think i would want to definitely start with babies. I have seen bantams boss around standard size chicks very successfully when they were raised with them from itty bitty.

8. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    Here is my plan...get baby chicks, rasie in brooder in our house for the first 6 weeks, then put them in a crate our in the coop area for 2 or so weeks and then move them to free range with the big kids....what do you think?

9. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I don't know what the weather is like where you live, so that might make some difference.

But standard chicks will outgrow bantam adults, by i think about 5 weeks.

I would personally have them outside in the crate at about 3 weeks, maybe earlier. I live in a warm climate, and i am not nearly so protective of my babies as some are. I have had good success with my chicks, and i try to get them into the elements as soon as they're comfortable without their heat lamp anymore - which for me has been before 2 weeks of age.

I'm sure my methods are considered quite liberal - and by some, irresponsible. But i have strong, happy, active chickens.

The earlier the standards encounter the bantams, the less likely they are to exclude them from their social order and try to bully them - if that is your concern.

In my opinion, 6 weeks is way too late...and a lot of unnecessary trouble for you having them inside all that time. I would want them to have reached the point of free ranging together before the standards outgrow the bantams.

10. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    actually good to hear...because I think they need more room then our brooder offers by the time they are about 3 weeks of age...I'm really looking for low maintainances chickens too...I want to open the door, let them out, close the door after they are in, etc...and on occasion go hang out with them...when they are baby chicks I handle a lot, but as they grow up, they do spend more time wih their flock and less time with humans....however, I like them to be around humans enough that they are nice...means ones don't last long...because they typically attack our dogs and that doesn't end well for the aggressive chickens

we live in Solvang, California...so May and June are decent weather, some rain showers...

I guess I could wait to order until maybe April...then they would go out in May....and/ should I order in May and send'm out in June??? either way I don't need to order NEXT month...that would be too soon to order....

I for sure would be ordering chickens that have a high egg laying count and larger eggs then the silkie produces....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by