• Never, I leave them with the flock

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
I just isolated an injured hen. This is only the second time I've ever isolated a chicken. The first time it was my adult hen Lilith. Lilith, being the outcast of the flock, really didn't mind her two days of isolation. I think she actually enjoyed eating and drinking in peace.

The hen I have just isolated, in a wire crate, within the coop (with the other chickens right there) is losing her mind over being penned. She's throwing herself against the bars.

In the past, with minor injuries, I've never isolated. My reasoning being that the stress from the isolation does more harm than allowing them to be with their flock, even if they heal slower.

What is your opinion?

I voted only for major, but I've never actually done it as the situation has not arisen. I would probably try anything but the most serious injury in with the flock, and remove her only if there was a lot of pecking. I once separated one with a bloody toe as they were pecking at it just a bit. Felt terrible, watched her freak out for several minutes, re-cleaned the toe which removed most of the blood, and put her back. She did fine. Bought some BluKote for next time.

depending on the injury. if its major yes i isolate, for cuts/blood/flesh wounds i just clean them up, pop on a little jacket to hide the wound from the others (if they see blood they peck it!) and leave the bird with the flock...

if a chicken is ill i always isolate until i know the cause........

I do it but dont like to:-( Ive done it for birds that I knowget bullied away from the food-so I pick a buddy for them and put both in isolation-in full view of other birds-wait a few days while fattening them back up to regain strength and out they go again-its usually just enough for them to push their way back in to the food!

Ive isolated broodies, hurt birds that were pecked serverly, birds that just didnt look right-9 times out of 10 Im happy with their outcomes-Ive never had one go psycho on the cage or me though for being locked up:-(

I've isolated injured birds a few times. For things that seemed pretty major to me. Like being mauled by a coyote. Or by an overaggressive rooster. (That being the demise of the rooster.)

I have always brought them into the house and kept them in the laundry room. Much to my husband's displeasure... So I don't know what I'd think about the hen that's going nuts trying to get out of the cage. I've never had a problem with reintegration after a short stay in the "hospital".

Consider moving her to where she is away from the others. Once they are in a strange environment the are afraid and will settle down. Kind of like how the dogs always behave better at the clinic!

Just like you said, Kat, if they are absolutely throwing a fit and possibly hurting themselves worse, I put them back.
If they are OK with it or feel bad enough not to care, they stay in the hospital alone.
Sometimes it's hard to know what's best for them so I go with my gut.

Major injury (my vote) for me usually means they have an open wound that others are pecking. Even then, it is in a cage in the coop. They don't totally lose touch with their buddies.

Thanks for the input y'all. The hen seems to have calmed down, as of this morning. She's just sitting and watching the goings on in the coop. This is one of my cornish X pullets and the dog crate is on the smaller side, so unfortunately no room for her to have a buddy in there. I think I'm going to have to insist she stay isolated for a few more days at least. Her wound is behind her wing, on the fleshy part of her leg. Pretty much hidden from view by the other chickens, so pecking is not an issue. Her wound looks some better, but I'm afraid one mounting from the roosters would tear it open again. She's just gonna have to build a bridge and get over it.
wink.png

I think once she's done with the crate I might try putting these two testosterone crazed cockerels in there....together.
somad.gif

ETA: Ranchy, I did consider taking her out of the coop enviroment, but really there's no other safe place to put her. In the house she would be harrassed by the cats and dogs; in the other coop, it would be the adult birds that do the harrassing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom