Opinions wanted on runty Silky PLEASE!

CollegeChicken

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 3, 2014
I have a VERY runty silky chick. It has always acted normally and i see it eat and drink. Its a mixed batch of breeds and yesterday they turned 4 weeks old. While the other birds have grown and grown the silky is still very tiny. She is starting to be able to not compete at the feeder. I think I may need to remove her. I was thinking of putting her, one other silky chick, and a bantam polish chick by themselves and putting the other 5 chicks ( who are standard breeds ) outside into the coop. Does anyone have any advice or has anyone had these tiny little runty silkies that just dont seem to grow?

Last edited:
I would like to know also I have the same thing Going on with A Rhode Island Red Rooster had them a week and they have all doubled in size except him and he hasn't grown any . He has Pastey butt I have been keeping it clean , he eats ok and drinks fine I guess time will tell if he makes it or not

I have 3 buff Orpingtons who were born on July 3rd. The last one to hatch is only a day behind but up to this day is only half the size of the first born.
On top of that, he had foot pad dermatitis and quite the case of it too. He doesn't eat as much but he tries really hard to keep up. I love it because he's the underdog.
I put vitamins in their water and I have encouraged him to eat more by mixing his chick starter with a little more water. He seems to like it runnier.
I'll put him up on the perch and while I'm applying his medication to his feet, he eats.
He is growing. Just now starting to get some tiny little tail feathers but he is growing.

Just keep a close eye so the others won't start picking on him. I think the separating idea is a good one.

Good luck!

Separating may or may not work. I had two runty chicks who I tried to separate based on the fact that they weren't getting bullied away from the food and falling behind in weight gain. I put a divider in their brooder, and it made them extremely unhappy, to the point that they were distressed and wouldn't eat at all. What I ended up doing was leaving them with their flock and taking them out of the brooder a couple times a day to eat a mix of chick starter and warm water, which they LOVED. They would sit on the floor with us and chow down for 10 minutes and go back with their buddies. We did this with them until they were about 4 weeks old, at which point they began eating better. They're 6 weeks old now and have caught up in weight.

You can try separating them, and if they get distressed, you can try separating them a couple times a day and giving them exclusive access to some high-quality, high-protein treat, like chick-starter and mashed up hard-boiled egg... (Mine wouldn't eat the egg, so I gave up offering.)

Yeah when is set him up on his perch for medicine time he also gets his chick starter with more water than I would normally add for the others. He seems to think it's special and he'll mow down on that til his little crop is full.
His foot problem is still pretty bad so I'm keeping on with the betadine and lamisil cream on the owies.

Tomorrow my husband is going to pick up blu-kote and some nutri drench and see if that will give him a jump start. Poor little guy tries so hard to keep up.

I'll post a pic with the oldest sibling.

Tiny, tiny!

Back
Top Bottom