1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Opinions wanted. When to switch from starter to layer crumbles?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by greenkjb, Sep 28, 2011.

1. greenkjb

greenkjb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    Hey there! My girls are 19 weeks tomorrow. I have about 1/4 bag medicated starter that I have begun to mix with organic layer crumble and a few handfuls of oyster shell. Once the starter is gone they will be on all layer crumble with the oyster shell. Does this sound like a good plan? They are not laying yet. Just trying to make sure they get the nutrition they need!
    Thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

They're right about the age where they could be gearing up for laying. Most feed stores sell only starter/grower and layer feed; it's a rare one that carries medicated starter, un-medicated starter, grower/finisher, layer, and "all flock" feeds. So what I would do may be different from what other folks do, because of the availability of the types of feed.

Pullets don't need calcium before they lay, as the added calcium is to replenish resources depleted by laying. Just sayin'......

I'd offer the oyster shell on the side, in a separate bowl or even scattered on the ground periodically. Just have it available free choice for those layers who seem to know they need the supplemental calcium.

3. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I think that is a great idea...start getting the calcium in their system before they start laying.

4. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Yes, sounds like a good plan. As long as they have the extra oyster shell when they start laying, they'll be fine until you switch all the way over and they start laying.

I usually start the oyster shell at 18 to 20 weeks and I have mine in baby pig feeders in each coop. Grit is in another feeder as well. I leave both available 24/7.

Good luck and hope they start laying soon! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by