1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

opinions~wats every1 think is the best algae eating freshwater fish??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by lcw1995, Dec 9, 2010.

1. lcw1995

lcw1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    i have a 25 gallon tank
    consists of 1 small bluegill(about 6 inches), and 1 baby yellow lab cichlid(about 1 inch)
    problem is its just now starting to get algae growing on the rocks and plants
    i plan on getting some cory cats for bottom feeders but i need a few or more algae eating fish
    im going to research it some more while i wait for a response on here but thats what im wondering
    whats every1 think is the best algae eating fish?

ps. i plan on letting the bluegill go in the spring and leaving the yellow lab in there

2. chickaddict

chickaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Bristol
    We have 3 cory cats and 4 other ground feeders in a 50 gallon tank.

9 cichlids
    2 eels
    1 lobster

we never see algae

I'm sorry I don't know what the other ground feeders are called. It's my sons' tank. I'll ask him what they are when he comes home from work.

3. RabbitMage

RabbitMage Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    My vote goes for otocinclus catfish. Small, not aggressive, effective.

The cory cats are bottom feeders, but won't usually go after algae.

4. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Try a plecostomus.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    An apple snail or three. They won't reproduce berzerkly but do a pretty decent job of keeping algae off plants. (If they don't do a good enough job keeping the glass clean for your tastes, use a magnetic cleaning widget or reach in there with a credit card, whenever it gets objectionable, and then suck the scrapings out with a normal gravel vacuuming)

I've not had great results from ANY fish.

Keeping your water chemistry good -- nutrient load low -- is also a big thing for preventing algal overgrowth. Test for nitrates and phosphates both, if possible; do water changes as necessary to reduce high levels, and/or reduce fish feeding rates or stocking densities.

A baby bluegill and a lab. cichlid have awfully different water/temp/pH requirements... and the cichlid wants pretty different requirements than most catfish.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    I'd not put most species of plecostomos in a 25. They get far to large for that size tank. If you can find an ancistrus (also known as bushynose) they don't get as big. Otoniculus are good algae eaters, but won't eat anything else, not even algae tablets, so unless you are constantly growing some algae, they will starve. The other problem with otos is that they are all wild caught, and usually not in very good shape when they arrive at the store. Ask how long they've been in the tank. If not long, buy more than you need, as some will probably die. If you can find them, true Siamese algae eaters (there is a similar fish called a flying fox that is not as good) will gobble algae, tho they can get lazy as the get older. Just don't overfeed and they will continue to munch algae.

7. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    Pat does have good points. Most cats will want different water than the cichlid.

And water quality is very important in algae control. Nitrates and phosphate are the usual suspects. As is overfeeding the fish. Algae will grab any bit of leverage it can get to grow.

What kind of algae is it? Fuzzy green? Long stringy? Flat, bluish green slime? Makes a difference what you do to control it.

8. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    My apple snails were voracious algae eaters. They are also very cheap! They do get kinda large, but two or three would be fine in a tank your size with that fish load. They are neat little buggers too. I got very attached to mine.

9. chickaddict

chickaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Bristol
    OK - son home from work

he has in the tank

1 pleco - but he doesn't recomment this for a 25 gallon tank
    1 asian redtail
    1 bumblebee catfish - this is a beautiful catfish, but we never get to see him as he only comes out when the tank lights are off
    3 cory catfish

he never has an algae problem

he did have apple snails but the eels ate them

I should mention he works in a pet store - thats how the obsession with fish started in the first place.

10. lcw1995

lcw1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    thanks everyone
    if i do get a catfish ill take the cichlid back downstairs in my grandpas 75 gallon(boy oh boy what i wouldnt give to have that)
    i really like the catfish so im thinking thats what i may do
    and up until just this week my tnk has been real clean hasnt gotton dirty at all...
    idk why it did all the sudden

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by