1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OPINIONS....Which breeds are the most attractive?????????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Layin Eggs, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Layin Eggs

Layin Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2007
    South Eastern, MA
    Trying to establish my flock. I want some for egg production and others for beauty. Which Hens? Which Roo's? I have seen some gorgeous roos with the colorful tail feathers, but don't know what breeds they were.

By the way I am looking for standard size. Thanks

all opinions welcomed!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  2. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    to be honest i think sebright (SP?) or partridge rocks!!

3. Layin Eggs

Layin Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2007
    South Eastern, MA
    wow, those are beauties but iI forgot to mention I was looking for standard size. Edited my original post. TY tho

4. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    sebrights are bantams and terrible layers. mine isnt very good. brahmas are ok, but leghorns are awesome! sussex are just as good as rirs, but prettier.

5. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2008
  6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That is such a subjective question! I can't answer for someone else, only for myself. For example, I do NOT like the look of Silkies at all. Many here adore them, but I don't see the attraction. It's just a personal preference.

7. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Glad you asked......hands down the winner is a Light Brahma...they are the magestic one you know? Mine are great layers and pleasing to look at, not to mention the great attitudes they have! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

bigzio

8. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    I second Brahmas [​IMG] And Polish are lovely, in my opinion. But like SpeckledHen said, it's so subjective, and everyone seems to like something different. There's a certain chicken out there that gives me the creeps, and I don't plan on them joining my flock [​IMG]

My Brahma's lay decently too. Cochins have such beautiful "bloomers" though I've heard they aren't the best laying hens-but good Broody's...I have 5 blue and 5 buff Cochins coming in March [​IMG] Ooh, and Salmon Favorelle's-Gorgeous birds!

9. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    B E A U T Y...........my dear , is in the eye of the beholder ! [​IMG]

10. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by