Opinions...will she fly away?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TheDuckCrew, Jan 11, 2010.

1. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    So Pepper's been here for almost two weeks! [​IMG] she's been locked up in the pen with Toby since January 1st (WOW! time flies! and so does pepper [​IMG]) When she escaped from the garage via her wings on December 31st, she decided to take a little trip down the street. into the woods. THROUGH the woods and under a nice little pine tree. I followed her tracks all the way through the snow (even though my dad said it was too dangerous...swamp land...i did anyways) the whole time i was crying thinking i would never find her again, butt I DID! and i herded her out of the woods into the yard of the apartment buildings across the street, through the woods separating the two streets, across the street and back into my yard. PHEW! it was a lot of work. but then she hits my yard, starts running and flapping her wings and flies back into the air, back across the street and into the swamp woods again. *sigh* AND toby followed her that time, his little butt running as fast as he could. PEPPER!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] my dad came out and we went looking through the swamp again, found them, herded them back to the street and Toby started trying to bring Pepper home, buttt Pepper ran to the far end of the pond and Toby of course followed her under some thicket on the ice. They stayed there that night and came out in the morning and swam some. Toby being the fatty that he is, came running when i shook his food bowl, and Pepper followed him right into the pen! [​IMG] [​IMG] the door was latched closed behind them [​IMG], and they have not come out. I've gone in to feed them, give them water and more bedding, but the door closes behind me. No duckies allowed outside! i would really like to give them some nice swimming time though. Im not sure if Pepper will fly away, I was going to clip her wings, but i was afraid I'd do it wrong. She's a cayuga so she just has to gain some weight before she can no longer fly. Her and Toby are in ducky love, and she follows him in and out of the house. in and out. in a out. in and out. She follows him to whatever water bucket he feels like using, and if she gets a little scared and runs back into the house, Toby follows her and leads her back out. Since Toby's big and fat and can't fly and she's settled in some, do you think she will try and fly away again? [​IMG] I don't wanna end up losing her. thanks!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  2. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Ohhh DuckCrew. I have no idea but I just wanted to give you my support. I wanted to let my three's wings grow out so they could escape any potential daylight fox attacks but eventually decided against it. I think mine would fly away and not be smart enough to find their way back. (They'd also be digging up the neighbour's gardens all day.)
    I hope someone here can give you good advice on this one. They are such sweet duckies and it's so cute how much Pepper loves Toby already. She's got good taste!!

3. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    thanks priss. i was hoping someone would know. i wish he'd teach her this is home, you don't leave home. lol

4. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

If you don't want her to fly away, then just clip her wings, it's a very easy thing to do:

[​IMG]

5. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    im not sure if i should clip her wings [​IMG] she's a cayuga so once she gains weight she wont be able to fly and she's already terrified of me. i'll clip her wings if necessary, but i wanted to know some opinions from experienced people on her situation.

6. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I wouldnt say that..
    y cayuga hen flew 300 yards the other day and had a FIT when she and a few others had to waddle their way back!

Anf I hate the sound of clipping their wings... I think I'm going to have to but... gosh my duck's feathers are so pretty!!!!

7. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    yeah im terrified of clipping her wings [​IMG] my fat pekins could never get more than a few feet off the ground with their best efforts. she's really attached to toby so hopefully she'll stay around [​IMG]

8. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Quote:Well that has been my experience with birds that can fly... if I'm scared they will fly away, I clip their wings.

Most domestic ducks are opportunistic and will stay where the food is as long as they aren't being harassed by anything. It sounds to me like she's acting like she knows the place is home, however with any bird it's possible that they will take off if they are scared enough. I know Goat_Walker lost a lot of her flock at some point and it took a while for most of them to come back. No one can tell you what she's going to do. If you're scared, clipping her wings is an easy way to ensure that she doesn't.

9. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

CLIP THEM!!!! I just got that same advice today, and did exactly what that picture said, and POOF, no more flying.. though mine does keep trying and then crashing... i assume she'll figure it out, and the snow is at least a soft landing. Just clip them, do it, it's easy, one wing, 10 feathers, literally took me 20 seconds... If that. if you lived in Vermont, I'd come over and clip 'em for you! I swear, it's as easy as pie!

10. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    alright i guess ill try clipping them tomorrow! the hardest part will be catching her. shes so quick and i hate it when they get scared and start freaking. i guess ill just have to do it and do it quick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by