1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Opinions - will this work? UPDATED

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickensioux, Jul 14, 2011.

1. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Now that my little crested rouen female is big enough to be with the bigger ducks (she had been with the calls), I put her in with them. Everyone seemed to pick on her and she was always off by herself. If she got close to anyone else, they attacked her. No injuries but I just felt so sorry for her. So, I took her and the male rouen and put them in a large crate on my back patio. Just those 2 in a crate are fine. He has not bothered her at all. I'm trying to see if he will befriend her and then when I put them back up with the others, she will have a friend.

What do you think? Will it work?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Sounds like a good plan to me. They can buddy up and will remember each other when they get out.

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    It very well may. Sometimes all you need in order to get ducks to get along is to mix them up a bit. Good luck!

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I think it's a great idea. I often recommend people do that with chickens. One new kid taking all the abuse is just too much.

5. MrsKemmerlin

MrsKemmerlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    Sounds like a good plan to me! [​IMG] Keep us updated on how well it works out for the little love!

6. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Yep, it worked!!!!![​IMG]

7. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    [​IMG] YAY [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by