1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Sorry I'm posting yet another thread about what we should do! I bought the plans for this coop: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=260383961260

I
    like it and her instructions are great. However, the more I'm reading about chickens the more I like the deep litter method which I don't think will be possible with this coop since it's not very tall. Plus it will only be about $30 less than building an 8x8 shed that is 8 feet tall. What would y'all that are more experienced go with?

BTW, despite what my siggie says I am now up to 17 chicks [​IMG] . On the up side 15 are bantams and all are straight run so probably aroun 8-9 will be roosters that I'll give away. Either way, I'll need a medium size coop since I really want to get some easter eggers as well (man, DH is gonna kill me)

2. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    If it were me I would go with the big coop ~ one you can stand up in.

It's soooooo much easier to clean!

Good luck! [​IMG]

3. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    From my experience, I prefer walk in coops. It is easier to clean and easier to interact with your chickens. I would build an 8x8 if I were you. Right now I'm in the process of building a 8x7 and made it where I can walk in the coop and the run. It's a great plan. Maybe modify to about 6' tall, and have the nestboxes 18" off the floor.

4. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks for the advice! After reading that I realized that I would like it better if I were able to walk in; and that makes perfect sense about it being easier to clean if it's taller. With a shed-type coop do you still have access to the nest boxes from outside or do you just go in and get the eggs? Thx!

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Whichever way you want to design it [​IMG] You can also make it so there is a 3x3 or larger "foyer" when you walk in, that chickens are screened out of and you can store feed etc there, and nestboxes can be accessible from *there*, if you prefer.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by