Opinions?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Minefalls, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Minefalls

Minefalls Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Just wondering, I have 4 Buff orpington's that are 24 weeks old now, No eggs yet. I think they went through a mild moult last month.
    I plan not to add light to the coop, so will they not lay at all in the winter? Am I looking at my first egg in the spring time?

I really have to say, I just adore these girls!! They are great!!
    [​IMG]
    Laura

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Two of my buff's just starting laying this week. They are 26 weeks old. Some pullets start to lay earlier than others. Don't worry. Give them time and good feed. They will begin to lay soon. Production does slow down in winter but you will most likely get a few (and more) eggs.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Your girls are very pretty! I have 14 BO hens, and 2 Roos. They are characters! I think mine were about 26 or 28 weeks befor they layed. Dont give up on them. BO are supposed to be very good winter layers. Without a light, they might not lay as well....but thats ok, they will need the rest for spring laying and hatching!! [​IMG]

4. Minefalls

Aug 31, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Thanks for the info, Miss Prissy & Deb! They sure are characters!! They see me in the yard and come running to see what I might have for them. Too funny!! I love their coloring too, around their neck when the sun hits their feathers, it's really shiny, very pretty.

I am also amazed at their natural ability to avoid what they think may be a predator, a crow flies over the yard one girl will make a cluck and they will all freeze, if they are out in the open they run under the trees too and freeze.

5. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    i have a bunch of chickens who are in the same age range as your girls who have yet to start laying from several breeds including buff orps. They are also my favourites based on their colours, and personalities.

I have RIW, sliver hamburg, buff orps, ameraucana,silkie, perhaps my salmon fav although not sure if she laid one yesterday, who all have yet to get going with the laying. We also have a bunch of chicks from3-4 days up to 3-4 weeks old coming along and another 14 good eggs ( cynthia's blue/black ameraucanas and blue orps) in the bator cooking well at day 15 today. Hoping to have a good number of pullets so I will have an endless supply of eggs since i eat 6-8 at a go and I do that 4-5 times/week! ( i only eat the white though~)

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I know this is off topic....so sorry.
    I have a Buff Orp. that loves me more than any of the other chickens do. She actually gets jealous if i hold another bird. The first time i realized this, i was holding another pullet and the BO came over and bit onto the neck and ripped it right of my lap and turned around to jump up and take her place. The deed was not rewarded, LOL.

7. Minefalls

Aug 31, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Wow, Aran, I think you will be getting a lot of eggs!!
    Did you get snow yesterday?

I bought my girls, mostly for eating bugs in the yard. We have ticks and a few of my dogs came up positive for lymes so though they may help somewhat. I can't use chemicals because of the dogs and don't really want to anyways. Eggs are really a bonus for me [​IMG]

If I had more land, I could sure see myself with a much bigger flock!

I am feeding the organic layer feed from blue seal, Is this a good feed?

8. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    I have 5 buffs -27 weeks -no eggs. I think we're getting closer though...

9. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    It's nice to know of another all-BO flock. I have five, and the first egg came at 24 weeks. But it was only one girl doing the laying. She was the one with the most-red and biggest comb.

Now, at 27 weeks, it seems that only two or three of the 5 are laying. So each girl matures at her own rate, even though they're the same breed.

10. Minefalls

Aug 31, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Yes, this is great to know!! No need for me to worry somthing is wrong!
    Your right the do mature at different rates, 3 of my girls combs are getting red and bigger but one is still pinkish.

I call her my cover girl, as she just gives the best looks for the camera.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by