Opinons/Suggestions on Drying out Run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Circle W Farms, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Circle W Farms

Circle W Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2016
    Antreville,SC
    My Coop
    I have a 10'x10" run that is completely covered with about 4" of sand. We had a good amount of rain last night and now there is standing water everywhere. Any opinions/suggestions on how to dry it out? I usually put leaves in as litter but they are all soaked too. I was thinking straw. What to ya'll think?

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    First, drain off water.
    Can you dig a swale drain so water can flow out of run.....
    ...and maybe in other places so it doesn't get in there to begin with?
    Can you post pics of the run and surrounding area?

The post linked below, and the rest of the thread there, is good info.
    Here's a great description of contents and how to manage organic 'bedding' in a run or coop...and there's a great video of what it looks like.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1037998/muddy-run-help-please#post_16017992

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I wouldn't add straw to that situation. That just adds sodden mess on top of sodden mess. The rain will need time to absorb, but if it has trouble absorbing into your soil, sand may not be the best choice for your run. In a rainy season there's no drying out a run unless you put a roof on it, but you can build a deep litter in that run, which will allow the water to wick to the bottom and leave the top merely damp, but no standing water happening. In a run situation, building it at least a foot deep and more is most advisable.

A good variety of materials seems to work best for wicking that water to the bottom, different materials of different particle sizes. Leaves, twigs, straw, wood chips or shavings, pine needles and cones, woody weeds, corn stalks and shucks, etc. I'd avoid using too much of any one kind of material unless it would be leaves...they tend to break down easily and can form a spongy layer of footing in the run but they still need other materials to provide good air spaces and moisture absorption.

Pretty soon after getting a good deep litter system going, you should start to see the soils underneath your litter are starting to become more able to absorb excess water...as the worms move through the soil and pull that material into their tunnels, as bus and grubs move up out of the soil to follow the nutrient stream there, the soils underneath become softer, more aerated and able to take on more water without it standing at the surface.

4. Circle W Farms

Circle W Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2016
    Antreville,SC
    My Coop
    Thanks for the info. This crazy SC weather helped me out with two 75 degrees sunny days in a row. That helped me get it dry pretty quick.

5. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    To keep runs dry, key point to remember is gravity works. High is dry......so try to put the thing in a high elevated spot to begin with and water will drain away from it. Second point.......the goal is a bowl. One that is upside down so water runs off and away from it vs. the upright bowl that attracts, then holds water.

Let gravity work for you, not against you, and cover with the right type of litter and it won't matter how much it rains. They won't be running around in water or in mud.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by