Opionions appriciated please...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ebonys_shadow, Aug 7, 2009.

1. ebonys_shadow

ebonys_shadow In the Brooder

Sep 2, 2008
    Westport
    I am hoping to get some opinions on a matter.
    I sell eggs on ebay. The other day I did a one day auction for chicken eggs. Well, I usually have enough to collect & ship out that same day. They all of a sudden slowed down or something, I couldn't get enough eggs. Well, I ended up contacting the buyer & telling them I will have them in the mail first thing Monday or Tuesday morning as I am unable to get enough for shipment. Usually people are understanding. Fresh eggs are better than old eggs right? Well, they contacted me back wanting me to refund there $. It's alittle frustrating because I've never had this problem before. I state in the Auctions "Once you bid on them & win, you are obligated to pay for them. In the instance that you change your mind for whatever reason, you are still responsible for them & must follow through". I replied to the buyer saying that I will think on this & get back to them. I also told them what I say in the auctions & that I do hope they will read the full auctions in the future before bidding.
    I understand where this person is coming from as they figured they would be ready to ship out & that was my intentions also.
    Anyhow, what would you do? I would like to work with them but I am also learning that many people on ebay are flaky & even play games. There have been many times when people never paid for an item. Some even make logical excuses & I've worked with them... There have been many occasions where usps has damaged allot of eggs & I have sent them a whole new batch. I like working with people. However, I'm getting tired of it...

2. I would stick to my guns. You displayed your terms right up front, and its not your fault that they didn't read them, or chose not to read them. I agree, people are flaky on ebay. . .they will probably give you a crappy rating, but they are only one customer too!!! Good luck, and keep us posted on what you decide. Besides that, its only a few days, not weeks . . .people need to chill for heaven's sakes!!!

3. jqs birds

jqs birds Songster

May 10, 2009
    Western Colorado
    It depends on you I guess.
    But when I buy eggs, I buy from a few people at one time so I can set them all to hatch together. If that's the case with this buyer it's not really his fault the girls took a few days off.

4. Hi! In my opinion... if they wanted a refund, I'd refund. You aren't out anything, are you?
    Maybe they have a time-frame they needed to get eggs in the incubator. I understand you didn't have enough to ship when you'd advertized you would.
    Good luck,
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I rarely sell on ebay anymore, since they seem to be taking directions from a cheesy discount chain. BUT- I say in listings that I ship within 3 BUSINESS days of payment. Gives a bit of leeway, timewise.

As a seller, you are at a disadvantage on ebay. I would do a prompt refund, were I in your shoes.

6. NCIndiaBlue

NCIndiaBlue Songster

Feb 20, 2009
    NC
    I think they need to relax a little bit. A few days is not going to matter, even if they ordered from others at the same time - it will not kill the hatch to wait a few days.

You have to be careful on Ebay though, some people seem to always be looking for a fight - it's like high school sometimes! You can't always make everybody happy - you just have to do your best and what you know is right.

7. ebonys_shadow

Sep 2, 2008
    Westport
    Thank You everyone [​IMG] I went ahead & issued a refund. I wrote them back & I'm thinking I probably could of been alittle nicer... Course, they weren't very friendly so I think that's why...

For those of you selling eggs from this site, how are you doing? Do you ever have problems? I've bought a few times but haven't sold... so far everyone I have bought from has been very nice & I haven't had one bad experience...

8. Hi! I've never sold eggs anywhere except on BYC so I have nothing to compare to. All good though.
    Now you can offer the eggs here for Mon/Tues shipping and all is well.
    What are they and how much? You might want to make a new post.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa
    EDITED TO ADD: that should read 'good', not dood --- I have a kitten on the keyboard.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  9. ebonys_shadow

Sep 2, 2008
    Westport
    Nothing extremely special. I have what I call the Barnyard special which is a variety of chicken eggs. Some pure bred, some what I call "mutts" lol. The auction was for 20+ eggs & sold for $20. After paypal fees, ebay fees, shipping, packaging costs & time I really don't make much.. a few bucks... But I sell a variety of birds & sell the chicken eggs as more of a courtesy & to help my rating... I have auctions ending in the next couple days. I may try posting on here the following week... I mostly sell Button, Tibetan, & Cotunix Quail eggs, Duck eggs, sometimes Cochin Bantam & Turkey eggs. All really depends on what I don't want to hatch...

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I didnt read all the posts, but heres my opinion: If you didnt have the # of eggs you advertised in your auction ready to ship when the buyer paid..then you have to refund her money if she wants it back. You dont have a choice.. She kept her end of the deal and paid...you didnt ship when you were supposed to. You have to refund her money back..and its also the right thing to do, she didnt mess up. The seller did. Take care. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: