opossum attack got 2 birds. do I need to worry it'll come back?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by gstone, Aug 13, 2010.

1. gstone

gstone Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    South Portland
    Two nights ago an opossum got into the coop and killed two chickens. We heard the noise and went out and scared him off (and got a good look at him... so we know what it was). Do I have to worry about him coming back? I've sured up the coop really well. So well I'm not sure how or if I'll be able to let them out to free range for a while. - not until I have the time and money to put into making it open able and still secure. We also put a light out on the coop last night to deter night visitors.

Why did it come in the first place? The girls are only 4 months old, not laying yet. And will it come back? And does it matter if it comes back if it can't get in?

Some one had suggested that I put a live trap out for it.... I don't want to have to deal with that ugly thing! What would I do with it?! Not kill it?! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Yes, it will likely return. If your coop is secure then you will not need to worry about it too much.

Quote:Killing it is going to be a necessary part of trapping it. Relocation is illegal in most areas.

Good luck.

3. gstone

Apr 26, 2010
    South Portland
    I'm all set with that then. Not trapping. I'll just build a secure coop.

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Yes, unfortunately, it will come back and soon too.

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Gosh gstone, dealing with predators is just part of keeping chickens. Everyone that keeps chickens needs a trap and a gun. You can fortify your coop to keep them out, but it must be like a mini Ft Knox. The longer you have chickens, the more and bigger/stronger/smarter predators you will have to deal with, whether in the country or in the city. As CMV said, it will be back. Usually when they get a good meal, they sleep it off for a day or two or even three, but they know where the food is and will be back. Get yourself a live trap and bait it with a couple whole eggs. The eggs are less messy and don`t have to be re baited daily as with other baits. You must kill the predator, or at least get someone to do it. Relocating is not legal most places and besides, would you want someone dumping their predators in your neighborhood? As difficult as it is to deal with predators, it is just part of owning chickens, so you must figure a way to deal with it. Good luck..........Pop

6. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    Quote:Agree! Cat food works and marshmellows in the trap.

7. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

It's found a source for free food, it'll be back I guarantee it. Good luck with that no-kill thing. Too bad the possums won't return the favor.

8. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Sorry about your chcikens, it will be back.

They are easy to cath in a live trap, my dogs had been trying to get one in my old horse barn for a week, it had not bothered the chickens that were sitting in there , did steal the eggs.

I placed some boiled eggs and cooked chicken in a baby food jar and set the trap where the dogs could not get to it, i caught her the next day,

One of my hog dogs was happy to dispatch it very quickly then left it for me to dispose of.

9. gstone

Apr 26, 2010
    South Portland
    The thing is, the possum didn't get a meal. It just killed one bird and injured another to the point where it died a day later. It didn't eat any of the bird it killed. The chickens are only 4 months old, so no eggs yet.

Did it kill just for the sake of killing? Or did it think there would be eggs?

It didn't feed at my coop - just pillage and get scared off. That being said. Do you still think it will come back?

I live in a city, there must be easier meals where the humans don't try to kill you with a pitch fork in the middle of your murdering.

Think me naive if you want. I know I'm new to this. I can't be the only one who isn't super excited to kill some nasty animal.

10. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    It will be back and it did get a taste of what it was looking for namely food.

You not only need to fortify your chicken area but you need to patrol the area around it and eliminate any over hanging items that can be climbed to provide a drop down means of entrance. Then you need to be on the look out for tunnels dug by other animals that are also after you chickens.

You can treat them like a long lost buddy if you wish, just don't expect to have no casualties in the egg and chicken department.

IMO lollipop called it correctly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by