opossum got my favorite girl!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by what was i thinking, Mar 6, 2009.

1. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    i went out to do my late night walk thru.... i found one of the two week old chicks sitting on a step stool. so i picked him up and headed back to the stall where my favorite SF hen shirley is with the other baby. there was the biggest opossum eating her....... [​IMG] i ran to the house and told my husband to get his gun! a opossum is out there eating shirley!!!! [​IMG] he came out and did what had to be done but i already knew with out looking that it wasn't good.... there she lay with her other baby chick dead under the rotten opossum.
    i have other chicks in the house in a brooder, so i brought the lone chick in and put him in with them. he cried all night long. what a sad night...
    i told me husband i might feel better, if i just BASHED the opossum's head in with a shovel. but it is over and there is nothing i can do. i have seven other free loaders in the barn i would have gave him instead. it's that how it works.
    anyway just wanted to say i am sad. the opossum is dead, so i don't have to wonder who did it. now i will be on the look out for the others.

2. Cajunsamoan

Cajunsamoan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Louisiana
    Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that. [​IMG]

3. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh I'm so sorry...that is just heart-breaking. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    thanks guys. i just had to share.

5. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Possums are vile.

6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I feel your pain! Something just got one of our best layers and a sweetie girl, to boot!
    At least you got your predator, we are still looking for ours.

7. Kecene

Kecene Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2008
    Orange County NY
    I killed 2 of those creatures this month on my run. (lost a pullet to the first)

8. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Oh, that is a sad story. I'm so sorry for your loss. Why is it that the best ones go first? Good luck with your little one.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Sorry about your hen. I just shot a oppossum early yesterday morning when my chickens started raising a ruckus. Still not sure how he got in, but he won't be back.

10. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

They always get your best ones.......[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by