Opossum Injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aking, Feb 28, 2013.

1. aking

aking New Egg

Feb 28, 2013
    How do I know when to make the call? There are a few cuts here and there but nothing incredibly alarming. She is not opening one of her eyes but there doesn't seem to be any damage. We inherited the chickens when we bought our house a year and a half ago and would consider ourselves newbies to owning chickens. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Right now I have her in a laundry basket next to the radiator with a towel over her. I have just done a brief inspection and am waiting til my husband gets back to check her out more.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Chickens are tough. Is her suffering so great she cannot be "repaired" or is she valued enough to repair? If so, warm area, food, water, clean wounds with bandages can probably heal her up.

My mom spent a month helping a dog attack hen heal. She recovered and re-established pole position when let out back with the flock.

Here was her major wound and progressive healing pics by week:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She eventually grew back all the feathers in the region except they were barred like chick feathers.

3. Island Roo

Island Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2012
    Duncan, BC
    I had one that looked like the above post plus had most of her neck feathers pulled off.
    Hypothermia too i think.
    I didn't think she would make it but we helped her thru it and is still with us years later.

We kept her warm and dry - isolated from the others, cleaned the wounds, and used polysporin until the open wound closed up. I was told to monitor the smell of the wound. As she healed it had a sickly sweet smell - not really pleasant but you'll know it when you smell it. If it's infected, it stinks. So i was told... She didn't get infected.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by