Opossum living in garage

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Emzyyy, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    My parents cornered and trapped a baby opossum in our garage just the other day. It's been tearing our trash bags open and here we thought it was the dogs and they were getting punished for it. We have a 5 car garage and it's filled with construction materials, tools, cars, antiques... so it had a LOT of places to hide. Anyway I don't know why people think their so ugly? their adorable. [​IMG] Maybe it was because he was just a baby? I don't know. The teeth are creepy but their faces are cute. [​IMG] The opossum is actually the closest relative to hedgehogs. You can kinda see it in the face. [​IMG] Anyway here is a photo of our catch. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Poor dogs! Better give them some good treats, I'm sure they were trying to tell you!

3. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Quote:Yea, they just get put in their crates for awhile. I think Winston had more fun when my parents we're trying to catch it, chasing it around the garage. [​IMG]

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well - I think hedgehogs are adorable, so I'm not seeing the resemblance...lol [​IMG] The only ones I've seen that I thought were cute were itty bitty ones. Are their hands like raccoon hands, with opposable thumbs??? Are they able to get the lids off of trash cans???

5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I think they are adorable and have the softest fur.. which you wouldn't expect from looking at them.. I used to have one as a "pet".. she was a rescue with inner ear and balance issues (so she couldn't be released back into the wild).. a very sweet girl who loved to lay on the couch with the dogs and cats

6. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    You might not think they are so cute when they eat one of your chickens. I hope you took it far away to release it. I catch them all the time and take them to a local wildlife area and let them loose. I figure they may end up as coyote food but at least I am giving them another chance like you are.

7. yinepu

Quote:lol.. I still think they are cute even when i do end up with one raiding my birds.. i even think the raccoons are cute.. and I am at war with them at the moment.. they are so cute I want to keep their little hides so I can pet them and pat them and hug them and name them George... [​IMG]

8. hilareee

hilareee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    santa cruz, ca
    there's a homeless woman i see sometimes who has a pet opossum she caries in a backpack. she's had him/her for at least 2 years. very nice woman.
    i don't have a problem with opossums. they constantly migrate looking for food. mostly grubs and such, and cat food that's left outside.

9. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I frequently have one eating left over cat food on the front porch. One night my daughter came bounding up the steps and reached down to pet the cat.....'cept it was an opposum instead! They both screamed. Possum ran down the steps with the dog in pursuit....till it hit the bottom then fell over "dead." My daughter is screaming at the dog, the dog is barking at the possum (thinking such great fun). We got the dog back inside and stood still for a bit. The possum opened its eyes, jumped up and ran off. My daughter was amazed! I asked where she thought the phrase..."playing possum" came from! She needs to get out more...

10. yinepu

Quote:it's not me.. i swear [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by