opossum spotted outside the run this morning, chickens nervous tonight

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by HeatherLynn, Dec 22, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Ok well I have no gun available tonight. I plan on going out often so no sleep for me. Is there an easier way that sitting out in freezing weather with a gun?

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Get a trap. Are your chickens secure for the night?? If so, don't waste your time outside if you don't have a gun....not worth it. Tomorrow, just go buy a trap, bait it with cat food (or whatever) and bon voyage!!

3. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    They are secure for the night. The geese are not so I am a tad bit worried. I cannot secure them with the chickens though because they are chicken killers. The hubby is bringing home a gun he borrow tonight and we are getting a trap. I guess trap and dispatch would be most effective?

4. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    If there is one opossum there are many..... i just "got rid" of one the other day and relocated one a couple of days before that and then last night........ yep there was another one. Good luck.

5. eggboy

eggboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    CA
    How hard would it be to make your geese secure? I would suggest securing them first and then try to kill the bugger.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  6. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I know how the sleepless nights are with nightmares about some massacre. I've been working feverishly to not only improve the sheltering but shore up fencing because I had foxes running through the yard around Thanksgiving and scoping out my chickens. It was only a miracle that hubby noticed a young one watching in the first place, otherwise, I could have lost them all. It also seems like you'll be working feverishly to fix one thing up when something else comes up even more urgent. Ah, but that's life I guess. Maybe you can come up with some kind of solution. How far away from the house is the goose shelter?

7. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    They are all within site of the house. We have a super busy day tomorrow on the farm but hopefully we can carve out a bit of time to get a trap, get it set, and secure things a bit more. Its seems as of late we wake up super early and go to bed later and later. I may have to give up sleeping.

8. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    Boy, farm work ain't for sissies, that's for sure!

9. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    I don't know if you have a spare baby monitor around but you could set that thing up so at least you can hear real good if something's up.

10. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    I ran an outdoor extension cord to my coop, and use a baby monitor.
    I sleep so much better now...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by