Opossum threat

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bildo6, Jul 22, 2010.

1. bildo6

bildo6 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2010
    florida
    past two nights i have seen an opossum in the backyard. last night i set a live trap with tuna fish as bait.

i caught a cat

this evening just before the girls went to bed i set the trap again. i was thinking i still had light and it was a good time to set it.

i caught one of my hens

reset the trap after the girls were locked in for the evening and now i wait. the trap has a can of tuna fish and some table scraps. im hoping to get lucky tonight.

the opossum hasnt bothered the birds as far as i know. i will be less worried when i finish the new coop. (metal storage shed with concrete floor) just need a little more ventilation and to cut a "chicken door"

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Good luck - I always set my traps with dog food - caught tons of coons, 1 opossum, 1 cat, my dog - but never caught a chicken!

3. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    ha ha a chicken a chicken bet u were surprised

4. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    btw, u will catch another cat.
    thats my pradiction

5. bildo6

Jul 4, 2010
    florida
    last night the trap caught a "teenager" not the adult i have been seeing. ill keep setting the trap until i dont catch anything i guess

6. bildo6

Jul 4, 2010
    florida
    after i caught the cat, and the RIR. heres the teenager: this is not the animal i have been seeing but im not going to complain.

[​IMG]

when we came home tonight (from getting chicks [​IMG] ) i went to lock up the coop for the evening but i was one bird shy. Em said "i bet you caught that red again" sure enough we did:

[​IMG]

sorry the pix are not the greatest

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by