Opossum?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Puddin Fluff, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    My son came in this morning saying our banty cochin was dead and there were feathers everywhere. I went out to inspect and this was true. I found her inside the coop with a hole eaten in her side, feathers missing from the chase I assume but otherwise in tact. Upon inspection we found where there was a gap in the wire enclosing the coop. We sealed that up. We did see a young opossum around the coop last week but he was outside and gone before the gun was brought down.

Does this sound like the way a opossum would dine on a chicken, or more like a weasel? I am leaning toward opossum simply because we had seen one. Thoughts?

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Any time that a night time predator eats a hole in the side of a chicken you can be pretty sure that Pogo Possum was to blame.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  3. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    I gathered that by the other threads I read. It also sounded like a weasel could be a possibility but I think the Opossum more likely. Just wanted a little confirmation. I know that fortifying for a weasel would be more difficult.

So far no recurrences so I think we have the gaps covered.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by