Opossums in my Barn

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TNredhead, Dec 13, 2009.

1. TNredhead

TNredhead New Egg

May 5, 2008
    We have opossums in our barn with chicken coop! [​IMG] They have not gotten to our chickens because they are eating cat food. We have remove the cat food. Now, we are setting a live trap for the unwanted visitor. What can we bait the live trap with so that the cats won't get in the trap? Please help!

2. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    I can't think of anything that a possum would eat that a cat wouldn't be interested in. You may just have to set your cat free once in a while until you manage to catch the possum...

3. TNredhead

TNredhead New Egg

May 5, 2008
    Thanks, unfortunately our cats are always free to come and go. (and so is the possum) Maybe I can just borrow kennels for them. I was thinking fruit?

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Night Guard. A red flashing light that comes on at night & solar recharges in the day . I was on my last resort & ordered one. AMAZEING!! 7 or 8 months now & havent lost a thing to the sneaky varmits.

5. Featherfriendly

Featherfriendly New Egg

Nov 24, 2009
    I can't think of anything that a possum would eat that a cat wouldn't be interested in. You may just have to set your cat free once in a while until you manage to catch the possum..

I've had experiences with possums and raccoons. They're omnivores and cats are carnivores, therefore try a non-meat bait. I've had success with peanut butter (very aromatic and sticky) with grain- kind of like a bird food mix. It worked well for squirrels and raccoons so I imagine possum would go for it. You just have to make sure if caught, you take them far enough away that they won't return.

6. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Interesting to hear about the Night Guard. Several earlier reports suggested little or no effect. Are you moving to different locations regularly? And just curious if the "sneaky varmints" to which you refer are the possums or include other pesky animals.

7. TNredhead

TNredhead New Egg

May 5, 2008
    Possums for sure...I saw it last night. I couldn't shoot it because it was inside the barn! We do have mice...but that's why we have cats. Night Guard sounds good. Where it you get it?
    Yeah, I think apples and peanut butter is what we will try tonight. Thanks so much everyone I keep you guys posted....

8. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Maybe marshmellows would do the trick. Then re home that critter to the oven with some sweet patatoes. Use google to get the full receipe.

Rufus

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by