Opossum's in my chicken coop

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mairead, Jan 1, 2013.

1. mairead

mairead Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2012
    Redwood, NY
    Hello everyone. I am having an issue with opossum's getting into my coop at night and eating the chicken feed and staying under the heat lamp...this morning i found one in the hay sleeping. They seem very lethargic but i know they can become quite nasty and can eat chickens i keep kicking them out but they keep coming back. I don't know what to do about them...i have some of those nite guard blinking lights set up outside the coop but of course they don't work. Does anyone have any ideas how to get rid of them? I don't want to kill them unless it comes to that point. Thank you everyone for any advice you have ^_^

2. MrJorge13

MrJorge13 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2012
    New Jersey
    I have captured 2 in the last month in a have a heart trap. I was trying to catch some squirrels that were eating feed. I caught 3 squirrels and relocated them as well as the opossums. I usually drive them as far away as I can. I baited the trap with peanut butter and some feed. Good luck.

3. mairead

Dec 11, 2012
    Redwood, NY
    thank you! i need to invest in a trap because, i don't have one.

4. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    trap him soon, i had a peafowl and several chickens killed by a 'possum

5. John4ds

John4ds Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    California
    Same situation, get rid of the possums! It will get tired of chicken food and will start attempting to go for the chickens.

6. mairead

Dec 11, 2012
    Redwood, NY
    i was able to get rid of one yesterday. But i know their is a lot more!

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    It's always easier to keep them out than to try to trap/kill every opossum in the area. The next one to come along might have a taste for eggs and chicken. Heck, the next one to come along might be a skunk because if an opossum can get in, odds are a skunk could as well. That would be a nasty surprise.

If you built the run with 2x4 fencing, just cover it with cheap chicken wire.

8. eggorthechicken

eggorthechicken The Henabler

Apr 29, 2012
    Wayne County WV
    one got one of my silkies a few weeks ago...tore her to shreds....ole possum met the shotgun the next day....we did set a trap but it just caught my cat.

9. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    i have a friend that traps racoons and 'possums, he caught a skunk one night in his live trap, how do you release a live skunk safely? He decided walked up to the trap holding a blanket between himself and the skunk, covered the live trap with the blanket and then dropped the trap, skunk and all, into a swimming pool.

10. mairead

Dec 11, 2012
    Redwood, NY
    i caught a skunk before too but i was trying to trap raccoons that night not a skunk lol. i was surprised it didn't spray. i let it go though it wasn't hurting anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by