Opossums May Kill Chickens

MissouriDogMom

In the Brooder
Sep 27, 2019
It's important for "chicken people" to know that an opossum may kill your chickens. I didn't believe it till I saw it. My favorite hen, whom I hatched myself and raised, was partially eaten alive by an opossum. I heard her screaming early in the morning and went out there to find an opossum had cornered her and was eating her from the bottom. I chased it away and she died the next morning. I'm never going to permit an opossum anywhere near the coop again. When I see them in the yard, I hit them with the water hose and certainly do everything I can to make sure the ones in the coop are protected. This and finding a black snake curled up around a chicken's legs are what has driven me to stop having chickens in the first place. So much loss. So many deaths due to predators including my own dogs. Our efforts to predator-proof the coop and be mindful of things that might attract predators have gone for naught.

Thanks to all for replies. I have "had" chickens since 1990, and we lost our fair share through the initiation process. Recently the loss of my favorite hen and the ongoing battle against predators has squelched my spirit. Unfortunately the chickens that are left, three hens and a rooster, seem to view me as a predator now and become upset when I approach.
It has been the worse year here too for predators. They seem to be on the increase. They come and go in a cycle of prey and predators. It can be very disheartening to lose birds. So sorry.

It's important for "chicken people" to know that an opossum may kill your chickens. I didn't believe it till I saw it. My favorite hen, whom I hatched myself and raised, was partially eaten alive by an opossum. I heard her screaming early in the morning and went out there to find an opossum had cornered her and was eating her from the bottom. I chased it away and she died the next morning. I'm never going to permit an opossum anywhere near the coop again. When I see them in the yard, I hit them with the water hose and certainly do everything I can to make sure the ones in the coop are protected. This and finding a black snake curled up around a chicken's legs are what has driven me to stop having chickens in the first place. So much loss. So many deaths due to predators including my own dogs. Our efforts to predator-proof the coop and be mindful of things that might attract predators have gone for naught.
I’m so sorry for your loss!!! It’s really hard to lose a chicken to a predator, and losing them in their coop is particularly disheartening! Almost no setup is perfect; almost all can be improved. Again, I’m so sorry!:hugs

Thanks to all for replies. I have "had" chickens since 1990, and we lost our fair share through the initiation process. Recently the loss of my favorite hen and the ongoing battle against predators has squelched my spirit. Unfortunately the chickens that are left, three hens and a rooster, seem to view me as a predator now and become upset when I approach.

:welcome :frow I had something many years ago kill a bird. I left the bird out as bait and put traps out with the bird where it had been killed the next day I had a possum in the trap so I'm pretty sure it killed the bird and came back for more.

Back
Top Bottom