1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Opossums!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by coltssuperbowl83, Dec 21, 2010.

1. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    I can not seem to get rid of these things. Granted we live in the country but come on. I have relocated 2 opossums in the past week and destroyed another. I just walked outside about 20 minutes ago and there is another one sniffing around my barn that my chickens are in! I set my trap us and hopefully i catch it but is anyone else having a miserable time with these things?? The funny thing is that i have a lab/bloodhound mix and a bird dog and when they find a opossum they mess with it until it plays "opossum" and then leaves the thing alone! Next one i catch we're making stew!! (not really) [​IMG]

2. Holdens farm

Holdens farm New Egg

Dec 1, 2010
    ocean isle beach
    your doing all you can do trapping is the only way to get rid of them take them far far away im in the wildlife removal business so your on the right track good luck

3. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I always set more then one trap they often travel in groups if you dispatch every one you catch it takes them longer to repopulate ( illegal to relocate in the commonwealth )

4. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    I hate those things [​IMG] We've only had about 4 come visit our chickens,

within the 4 years we've had chickens, but come on...They're annoying!!! [​IMG]

5. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    You need to relocate them to an oven at about 350 degrees with some sweet potatoes. I guarantee they will not come back.

Rufus

6. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Quote:haha agreed! Normally we relocate a couple bullets when we have possums. [​IMG]

7. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know where the OP is from, but most states have laws about 'relocating' wildlife. Those laws are usually pretty much the same. They say: DON'T DO IT. If you're trapping them, they need to be disposed of. Not only are they returning to your house, but now they are trap shy and you won't get them in the trap again.
    Lots of threads on here with a gazillion reasons against dropping off a wild animal outside it's own territory. Too much to list here.
    Oh, and Holdens farm, if you are 'in the wildlife removal business' then you probably already know that permits and licenses are required to relocate and even then animals can only go certain places.

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I like possums [​IMG] they clean up stinky dead things for me, better than my chickens do. The solution is to make your pen secure-enough to keep them out, which I don't find is too difficult because they don't seem as smart or persistent as raccoons are.

Of course, your results may vary. Other people sometimes DO have problems with possums.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by