1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

oppinions on cochins and marans

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Barred Rocks forever, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Barred Rocks forever

Barred Rocks forever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] yes the black roo has squirrel tail

2. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:I fail to see anything about if the Black are hatched from Blue Marans. The Black Male also has several tail feathers with White. Does not appear to have very much width of back on any of the Marans. The soft under the vent feathers appear to have a brown cast to them.

The Splash Cochins look very nice from what I can see. Was thinking one thing and typing another. Still very nice and I have many years with large fowl cochins. Don

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    . . . . I thought those were Splash Cochins. They're nice, but they need a much more round cushion and lower set, smaller tail. If they are mottled - They have way too much white on them.

The Black Marans are okay, except of course the squirrel tail - Also, as mentioned, they have white in them. They should be solid black, through and through. Another thing is that they should have more substance; a better frame.

Marans should be broad, have a nice, strong chest, and have strong legs.

4. Barred Rocks forever

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
    to be honest im not sure what color they were hatched from ? i was told those cocihn were splash also thank u for the comment
    Quote:I fail to see anything about if the Black are hatched from Blue Marans. The Black Male also has several tail feathers with White. Does not appear to have very much width of back on any of the Marans. The soft under the vent feathers appear to have a brown cast to them.

The Mottled Cochins look very nice from what I can see. Don

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    They do look like splash cochins, mottled would have random white feathering all over their bodies.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Actually, splash is the random one. Mottling is having white tipping on each, or at least every 4-5 feathers.

These are quite definitely splash birds.

7. Barred Rocks forever

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
    so do you think the blue maran is ok ? should i just exit the black one from my breeding program ? just getting into breeding sq birds and kind of a young guy im trying to learn so i can bring somthing to show to a show one day really like what u guys are doing on the maran thread thanks for the advice
    Quote:

8. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    I made correction to Splash Cochin, was thinking one thing and wrote another. Don

9. Barred Rocks forever

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
    oh and illa the marans are 5 months old

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    From what I see, the blue has a much more substantial, meaty body, much better tail. . But he's in the background or facing away in all the photos, so it is hard to say otherwise.

And remember, Marans are not yet APA recognized, and blue/black are one of the later colors to be accepted, so first you really should worry about egg color. Especially with blues and blacks from the same breeding as blues, because they tend to have poor egg color.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by