Opportunity or recipe for disaster???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bigoakhunter, Jan 5, 2010.

1. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    I was contacted by a person, who hearing I had chickens wants to get rid of his flock. I went and looked at them. THeir are 10 Barred Rock hens and one rooster. There outward appearance is good. They are about 18 months old. He said they were laying up till winter came. He does not feed them layer or add any lighting. I can get the 11 chickens and a small 4x6 foot coop that is basic. Hinged roof. no roost, door out to run . not insulated, pine siding. And the run which is 12 foot long by 8 foot wide, 3 foot tall, 1 inch x 1 inch hardwire cloth on its sides and top. The run is not bad, coop a little small and needs a door added towards run, roost installed, 2 foot of height added. I have most of the lumber to redo coop. Just wrong time of year.

He wants $50 for the 11 birds, coop and fenced run. What do you guys think? I would house this flock completely seperated from my exisitng birds. I need to expand in the spring regardless of taking him up on his offer or not.

Good deal or disaster?

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Sounds like a fair deal to me.. Def. keep seperate though from your flock .. But 50. for a instant flock doesnt seem bad to me at all...

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

That's a bargain, assuming they are healthy and you're set up to keep them away from your birds for a month...[​IMG]

Those hens here would be $20-25 each.

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    He spent more then $50.00 in hardware cloth I bet.. I wouldnt hesitate to snatch em up...

5. Momo

Momo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Nelson BC
    I'd go for it.

6. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Can he hold on to them for spring? If you want to get them, I would have him switch to a good feed ASAP. Maybe it's just me, but I would be paranoid about bringing in chickens that were not cared for as well as I would like. Look them over REALLY carefully before you even bring them on your property, and get started on any pest control, supplements, etc.. before the move.

7. lighthawk

lighthawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    Gobles MI
    Quote:Don't even think about it. Absolutely not!!!
    Could you send ME his phone number? [​IMG]

8. momreda

momreda Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Cumberland Furnace, TN
    [​IMG]

9. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    I WISH I could find a deal like that around here! lol I would go for it!!! I wonder if you could house them on a friend or family members property until they are out of "quarantine" and that way there would be no worries (other than the friend or family wanting to keep them) lol

10. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Bargain!!! Go for it! With precautions of course [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by